Windows updated in middle of night, now only blue screen asking for keyboard layout

SgtSparkles

Just like the title. In the middle of the night windows tried to update itself against my wishes. Now it won't boot up and I'm on the blue screen for selecting a keyboard layout then an options menu. It says there is no restore points which is bs and its failing to revert back to before the update

restore backups?

Your gonna need the update, just do the setup menu and give it keyboard, they will drop support for the older 1709 fairly soon.

I think I got it to break through I made it to my login screen somehow. I have no idea. I just did the same restore option as the last ten failures definition of insanity style and it worked. I hadn't backed up this week's work though because I've been too lazy to go grab another hard drive and my current one is full

Great, it brought me to a black empty non functional desk top

1 hour ago, SgtSparkles said:

Great, it brought me to a black empty non functional desk top

So It installed macOS?

I've had a bunch of people coming in to work with this issue, my co-worker and I managed to get a fix going.

You'll need a spare computer, a flash drive of at least 8GB and a fair bit of time.

If you need anything more detailed reply and I can go into more detail.

1: On the spare computer download the Windows 10 media creation tool and setup a bootable drive.

2: Plug the drive into the computer and boot back into the volume (insert random small number here)

3: Use CTRL + ALT + Delete to open task manager

4: Use task manager to open CMD with admin privileges

5: Use Diskpart to workout which drive letter the external installer is on (command "diskpart" then "list volume")

6: Move to that volume ("volume letter:") and run the command "start setup.exe"

7: Proceed through the install setup and make sure to keep apps and features (it will take quite a while)

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6