how to lock cpu speed?

my default freq for my laptop cpu (i7 6700) is 2.6, and turbos up to 3.5. However, no matter if i set my cpu power management to 1, or 100, it still constantly goes above 2.6 causing me crashes. I just want to literally lock it at 2.6 for eternity. How?

That would have to be in the BIOS. Since it's a laptop it will look quite a bit different from normal BIOSs. Since it's crashing I think it's very much within warranty claims because the laptop is designed to be able to withstand that 3.5ghz mark yet it's not.

Just now, VicciVicVic said:

That would have to be in the BIOS. Since it's a laptop it will look quite a bit different from normal BIOSs. Since it's crashing I think it's very much within warranty claims because the laptop is designed to be able to withstand that 3.5ghz mark yet it's not.

yes im returning it but in the mean time i want to be able to run games for more than 0 seconds.

1 minute ago, overturnedv1 said:

yes im returning it but in the mean time i want to be able to run games for more than 0 seconds.

Well if you change the BIOS settings then that voids your warranty so there isn't really much you can do about that.

7 minutes ago, VicciVicVic said:

Well if you change the BIOS settings then that voids your warranty so there isn't really much you can do about that.

like throttle stop?

7 minutes ago, VicciVicVic said:

In what universe does modifying your bios settings on a stock machine violate your warranty?

Bios is there to enable you to configure your device. It's no different than changing a setting in the settings app in Windows.

It's a much different situation than, say, someone installing a modified bios to access settings that aren't exposed by default, that would absolutely be grounds for voiding the warranty. Bot changing settings on the stock bios? Please.

Just now, Tabs said:

In what universe does modifying your bios settings on a stock machine violate your warranty?

Bios is there to enable you to configure your device. It's no different than changing a setting in the settings app in Windows.

It's a much different situation than, say, someone installing a modified bios to access settings that aren't exposed by default, that would absolutely be grounds for voiding the warranty. Bot changing settings on the stock bios? Please.

how do i change bios? i dont see any setting in it for this kind of thing i just see garbage like username and stuff

Just now, overturnedv1 said:

how do i change bios? i dont see any setting in it for this kind of thing i just see garbage like username and stuff

When you start your machine up, before windows loads, you'll need to press a specific key combination. For most machines it's Delete or F2, but you'll need to check your manual to confirm exactly which key you need to press for your machine.

The setting you want to disable is intel turbo boost.

9 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Because it's a laptop and if you change frequency settings/turbo boost then that could very well void your warranty.

3 minutes ago, VicciVicVic said:

Because it's a laptop and if you change frequency settings/turbo boost then that could very well void your warranty.

Sorry, but no. Just no. Laptops without overclocking support have no options in their bios that could cause hardware damage. Laptops that do make you fully aware that it's at your own risk. 

Disabling Turbo Boost is not in any universe, ever, going to void a warranty.

30 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Sorry, but no. Just no. Laptops without overclocking support have no options in their bios that could cause hardware damage. Laptops that do make you fully aware that it's at your own risk. 

Disabling Turbo Boost is not in any universe, ever, going to void a warranty.

i fixed it dont worry thanks for your guyss help tho