New monitor (main or secondary)

Z-Gaming

Hello LTT Community, 

I can finally purchase a second monitor to better my setup and maybe start streaming here and there. The one I am using right now is the https://www.amazon.de/AOC-G2460PF-Displayport-Reaktionszeit-1920x1080/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527174871&sr=8-1&keywords=aoc+g2460pf&dpID=51F2dZxXwRL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch , and I am very happy with it. Now my question is... do I get a better main (1440p) or do i get a 1080p one just with less Hz to use as a secondary to watch chat and whatnot?

Thanks for all the answers

1 minute ago, Z-Gaming said:

Hello LTT Community, 

I can finally purchase a second monitor to better my setup and maybe start streaming here and there. The one I am using right now is the https://www.amazon.de/AOC-G2460PF-Displayport-Reaktionszeit-1920x1080/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527174871&sr=8-1&keywords=aoc+g2460pf&dpID=51F2dZxXwRL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch , and I am very happy with it. Now my question is... do I get a better main (1440p) or do i get a 1080p one just with less Hz to use as a secondary to watch chat and whatnot?

Thanks for all the answers

What PC specs do you have?

4 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

What PC specs do you have?

arent my specs on the bottom? Anyways. 6700K, 1070, 16GB ram

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Any reason not to get another one of the same model?

A guy told me that if it is a secondary for chat moderation, i could get one with 60Hz refresh rate

A guy told me that if it is a secondary for chat moderation, i could get one with 60Hz refresh rate

Ah, I guess that makes sense. If it's only for chat moderation, then you should be fine with pretty much anything as long as it isn't garbage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Z-Gaming said:

arent my specs on the bottom? Anyways. 6700K, 1070, 16GB ram

My bad, didn't see.
Well with a 1070 you could get 1440p 60fps at Ultra/very high settings.
However, if you already have a 144hz 1080p monitor, then it might not be worth upgrading.

Also, there is a glitch with Windows 10 where if you have 2 monitors running at a different refresh rate, windows might hard lock both to be 60hz.

1 minute ago, Mio85 said:

My bad, didn't see.
Well with a 1070 you could get 1440p 60fps at Ultra/very high settings.
However, if you already have a 144hz 1080p monitor, then it might not be worth upgrading.

Also, there is a glitch with Windows 10 where if you have 2 monitors running at a different refresh rate, windows might hard lock both to be 60hz.

Is that so? My main is 1080p 144hz indeed.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ah, I guess that makes sense. If it's only for chat moderation, then you should be fine with pretty much anything as long as it isn't garbage.

@Crunchy Dragon any recommendations? 

Just now, Z-Gaming said:

@Crunchy Dragon any recommendations? 

I like the Dell SE2717HR, it's a 27" 1080p IPS FreeSync display. Comes in around 170 USD.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Is that so? My main is 1080p 144hz indeed.

Yeah, I mean. They might have fixed it, since the last time I used a 144hz and 60hz was quite a while ago. But it was an issue.

Also, I know this is still an issue, but if you try to watch a video or something on your second monitor (assuming 60 hz) and try to play a game at 144hz it could make your main monitor hop between 144hz and 60hz which is really annoying.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I like the Dell SE2717HR, it's a 27" 1080p IPS FreeSync display. Comes in around 170 USD.

oh the guy above mentioned something about windows hard locking refresh rate at 60 when you have 2 monitors with different refresh rates. any idea if that stands and how to fix it?

Just now, Z-Gaming said:

oh the guy above mentioned something about windows hard locking refresh rate at 60 when you have 2 monitors with different refresh rates. any idea if that stands and how to fix it?

I think you have to go into your graphics control panel and manually configure them. I'm not 100% sure, as I have never run multiple displays with different refresh rates.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think you have to go into your graphics control panel and manually configure them. I'm not 100% sure, as I have never run multiple displays with different refresh rates.

As far as I remember there wasn't a way to fix it except to make sure there wasn't any form of movement on the second monitor (no video, marquee, etc)

The hard locking might have been fixed, but the stuttering is still an issue. I just tested it by using a random 60hz panel.

Just now, Mio85 said:

As far as I remember there wasn't a way to fix it except to make sure there wasn't any form of movement on the second monitor (no video, marquee, etc)

The hard locking might have been fixed, but the stuttering is still an issue. I just tested it by using a random 60hz panel.

then i guess i will go for a 1080p 144hz monitor... might as well get the same one or one that is a bit cheaper 

then i guess i will go for a 1080p 144hz monitor... might as well get the same one or one that is a bit cheaper 

Hold on. I'll test it with V-sync

7 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

14 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

Hold on. I just re-tested it and I think all the issues I mention have been patched out.

I played a youtube video on a 60hz panel and played CSGO on a 144hz panel with both Vsync on/off and Fullscreen/windowed mode.

I noticed no stuttering.

You should be fine with a 60hz panel.

Hold on. I just re-tested it and I think all the issues I mention have been patched out.

I played a youtube video on a 60hz panel and played CSGO on a 144hz panel with both Vsync on/off and Fullscreen/windowed mode.

I noticed no stuttering.

You should be fine with a 60hz panel.

i have no monitor with vsync yet though

i have no monitor with vsync yet though

Vsync isn't a monitor specific option. It's a graphics card/game engine option.

I believe you are thinking of Gsync and FreeSync.

Vsync isn't a monitor specific option. It's a graphics card/game engine option.

I believe you are thinking of Gsync and FreeSync.

oh... yeah

what about the monitor i posted? is it any good? and does it come with gsync?