Which phone to buy?

Ansger

Hello, 

The question is simple: what smartphone should I buy? 

I'm coming from a nexus 5 (not the 5x) that is now around 5 years old. I noticed that the batery is starting to fail and the phone is starting to lag.

What phone should i buy to replace it?

requirements:

• I would like it to be usable for as long (around 5 years)
  • the camera is not a focus here. It should take passable pictures and video but it doesn't have to be Pixel 2xl quality. (i'm fine with nexus 5 quality) 
  • The battery life should be more than decent. I regularly go on weekend trips where i have limited acces to electricity. A full day with some to spare should be the minimum. 
  • the performance has to be good. again, it doesn't have to be Pixel 2xl good but it should keep up with me for the 5 years to come. 

Bonus points for

• dust and watter resistance
  • USB type-C
  • Wireless charging

Budget is not fixed. I will pay more if it is worth more. 

Thanks for the help!

if 3000 mah is enough for you, you could go with a Huawei p20 lite. It isn't water resistant. But it will have USB-C and it's not that expensive.

If you want more, take a look at the OnePlus 6, Huawei P20/P20 PRO, Samsung Galaxy S9 (plus), Xio mi Mix 2S, google pixel 2 (xl). Just take a look at some, compare and enjoy your new phone

7 minutes ago, Ansger said:

Hello, 

The question is simple: what smartphone should I buy? 

I'm coming from a nexus 5 (not the 5x) that is now around 5 years old. I noticed that the batery is starting to fail and the phone is starting to lag.

What phone should i buy to replace it?

requirements:

• I would like it to be usable for as long (around 5 years)
  • the camera is not a focus here. It should take passable pictures and video but it doesn't have to be Pixel 2xl quality. (i'm fine with nexus 5 quality) 
  • The battery life should be more than decent. I regularly go on weekend trips where i have limited acces to electricity. A full day with some to spare should be the minimum. 
  • the performance has to be good. again, it doesn't have to be Pixel 2xl good but it should keep up with me for the 5 years to come. 

Bonus points for

• dust and watter resistance
  • USB type-C
  • Wireless charging

Budget is not fixed. I will pay more if it is worth more. 

Thanks for the help!

nokia 8 or essential ph1

Oneplus 6 would seem to tick all the required boxes. Type C is pretty much a standard for phones (thank god)

Samsung S8/S9 if you really want wireless charging and IP rated dust and water resistance.

Anker powercore+ for those trips.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

On 21-5-2018 at 1:53 PM, vojta.pokorny said:

Oneplus 6 would seem to tick all the required boxes. Type C is pretty much a standard for phones (thank god)

Samsung S8/S9 if you really want wireless charging and IP rated dust and water resistance.

Anker powercore+ for those trips.

thanks for the input. 

I do have a powerbank but i would prefer to not use it at all. It adds a huge amount of bulk (most of the time i won't be carrying a backpack)

Do you have any opinions on the Honor View 10 by any chance?

12 minutes ago, Ansger said:

thanks for the input. 

I do have a powerbank but i would prefer to not use it at all. It adds a huge amount of bulk (most of the time i won't be carrying a backpack)

Do you have any opinions on the Honor View 10 by any chance?

No problem.

The Honor View 10 is apparently not IP rated either, but at least on paper it seems pretty good. For me it would be too big though (as well as the Oneplus 6) - I have small hands, even the Samsung A8 I'm currently using is actually a wee bit too large for me, but the S9 was too expensive for me at the time. But if size of the device is not a problem then it looks to be really good.

I would mind the fingerprint reader at the front bottom though - I came from the Xperia Z5 Compact, which has it on the side in the power button, and although it's not really ideal and I hope my next phone will have it under the screen, I like it on the back, especially with the gestures (swipe down for notifications and quick settings mainly). Again, related to the size of my hands, as I probably wouldn't be able to hold the phone while reaching for the sensor.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3