How to cooling intel nuc?

6 minutes ago, roryjack said:

Hello. I am very like intel nuc idea but i am not so excited about it's TDP. Especially with overclock of CPU. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc8i7hvk.html INTEL® NUC KIT NUC8I7HVK

Do you guys have some ideas about how to water cool it or for basic, but more effective cooling solution for it?

You can just buy the 65W version of it, and it has pretty solid cooling as well

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can water cool, buy why? You might aswell just get a small desktop, it will make it much bigger.

Also that is a last gen nuc.

Reason why i choose NUC because i am moving around too often. E.g. i have own house and my parent's house. At both i need work sometimes and need to start work fast. With NUC i can just connect it to any monitor in house and start working. With small desktop, i need to buy small desktop for each of my house and i can't move to some new place with it.
Can you give me an idea - how can i water cool it? Is there some ready to use solutions?

33 minutes ago, CapitalistVN said:

You can just buy the 65W version of it, and it has pretty solid cooling as well

I can set energy save mode at 100W as well, but the reason why i am asking is to have either good performance (with overclock) and low temprature.

Just now, roryjack said:
39 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Reason why i choose NUC because i am moving around too often. E.g. i have own house and my parent's house. At both i need work sometimes and need to start work fast. With NUC i can just connect it to any monitor in house and start working. With small desktop, i need to buy small desktop for each of my house and i can't move to some new place with it.
Can you give me an idea - how can i water cool it? Is there some ready to use solutions?

Why not just get a laptop, not much bigger, built in battery and can get them with docking stations if you want one connector docks.

But have you looked at the very small desktops, there almost as small as that nuc.

ANd then temp wise, there fine, like it won't overheat using it, and you don't buy there to overclock.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not just get a laptop, not much bigger, built in battery and can get them with docking stations if you want one connector docks.

The reason why i don't want laptop, because if screen broke or is bad - i need to buy new device. This is not 1) Cost-effective 2) Comfortable

With NUC i can buy display i like. Any size i want. And it all will be portable - easy to move or work while travelling.
Sometimes i am OK without battery.

Mostly i use UPS instead of battery which is same effective as battery.

But have you looked at the very small desktops, there almost as small as that nuc.

I believe small desktops are still bigger and is not boxed well enough. Also lacks thunderbolt connectors all desktop i can found.

ANd then temp wise, there fine, like it won't overheat using it, and you don't buy there to overclock.

I believe it won't overheat by default, but i really want 4.5 GHz CPU overclock or more.

1 minute ago, roryjack said:

The reason why i don't want laptop, because if screen broke or is bad

You can use a external monitor. Just plug in the docking connector or thunderbot to the system and connect external mouse and keybaord and monitor. It costs the same, is faster and has extra features if you want them.

2 minutes ago, roryjack said:

I believe small desktops are still bigger and is not boxed well enough.

Have you seen cases like this https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Mini-ITX-Computer-ML08B-H/dp/B0161UXWRA

You can much much faster hardware in and the psu is built in so you don't need an external one.

If you wanter cool your nuc it will be about this big, and slower, and more expensive.

3 minutes ago, roryjack said:

I believe it won't overheat by default, but i really want 4.5 GHz CPU overclock or more.

These really aren't good overclockiners, limited vms on the board, small psu, limited cooling.

7 minutes ago, roryjack said:

The reason why i don't want laptop, because if screen broke or is bad - i need to buy new device. This is not 1) Cost-effective 2) Comfortable

With NUC i can buy display i like. Any size i want. And it all will be portable - easy to move or work while travelling.
Sometimes i am OK without battery.

Mostly i use UPS instead of battery which is same effective as battery.

I believe small desktops are still bigger and is not boxed well enough. Also lacks thunderbolt connectors all desktop i can found.

This is what will happen if you try

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I'd like to see how a hacked together water cool nuc is going to be more portable and reliable than either a sff watercooled/non-watercooled PC.

• 3 months later...
On 2018-05-21 at 3:28 AM, roryjack said:

Hello. I am very like intel nuc idea but i am not so excited about it's TDP. Especially with overclock of CPU. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc8i7hvk.html INTEL® NUC KIT NUC8I7HVK

Do you guys have some ideas about how to water cool it or for basic, but more effective cooling solution for it?

Don't think there is a good solution for watercooling it and still keeping it mobile. Not yet anyway. I've seen some youtubers picking it apart and putting it in bigger cases, then adding watercooling. 

Don't see the point in that tbh. 

But check this out. 

https://www.amazon.com/Akasa-Galactico-Fanless-Canyon-NUC33-M1B/dp/B07116RK6R

Seems like a good option. 

2 minutes ago, Stavarn said:

Don't think there is a good solution for watercooling it and still keeping it mobile. Not yet anyway. I've seen some youtubers picking it apart and putting it in bigger cases, then adding watercooling. 

Don't see the point in that tbh. 

But check this out. 

https://www.amazon.com/Akasa-Galactico-Fanless-Canyon-NUC33-M1B/dp/B07116RK6R

Seems like a good option. 

My bad. That one was for skull canyon.