Do I need a clean Windows installation?

Bijit

Hello,

I have a very very old Intel desktop pc. I have my Windows 10 installed in a dedicated 128GB SATA III SSD. I just ordered a new Ryzen 1600, a B350 motherboard and a RAM. I intend to use my previous SSD to run Windows. 

Now my question is, as I'm moving towards a completely different system, from Intel to AMD, do I have to re-install my Windows and other softwares? Please also suggest me to do this the right way. 

Thanks.

Yeah I would. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, Bijit said:

Hello,

I have a very very old Intel desktop pc. I have my Windows 10 installed in a dedicated 128GB SATA III SSD. I just ordered a new Ryzen 1600, a B350 motherboard and a RAM. I intend to use my previous SSD to run Windows. 

Now my question is, as I'm moving towards a completely different system, from Intel to AMD, do I have to re-install my Windows and other softwares? Please also suggest me to do this the right way. 

Thanks.

I've done it both ways.

The last install of Windows had gone through ~4 (IIRC) system builds, AMD, Intel, AMD, back to Intel. Never gave me an issue.

But this latest system (Intel) I went with a wipe and re-install.

All my data was backed up on other drives, so the basic install of Win7 was easy.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Sexisforsinners said:

I wouldn't, reinstall new drivers and it should be fine

Doing that way doesn't always guarantee a reliable working OS, you'll have more problems than it's worth. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 hours ago, Granular said:

I wouldn't call any installation of Windows 10 'clean'.

My friend, check out the "Windows 10 decrapifier" script.

I personally run it on all new builds (especially at work).

Script location:

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/3977-windows-10-decrapifier-version-2

How-to guide:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/148624-how-to-clean-up-a-single-windows-10-machine-image-using-decrapifier

It can't completely unfuck Windows 10, but it does some pretty good magic.

I personally use the flags "-allusers" and "-clearstart"

Make sure to follow the guide and run before finishing setup (using sysprep).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

My friend, check out the "Windows 10 decrapifier" script.

I personally run it on all new builds (especially at work).

Script location:

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/3977-windows-10-decrapifier-version-2

How-to guide:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/148624-how-to-clean-up-a-single-windows-10-machine-image-using-decrapifier

It can't completely unfuck Windows 10, but it does some pretty good magic.

I personally use the flags "-allusers" and "-clearstart"

Make sure to follow the guide and run before finishing setup (using sysprep).

There are tons of tools to "fix" win10, but they are all bandaids on broken arms.

Win10 is, designed from the ground up, broken, and no amount of tinkering can fix it.

Because in 6 months (or sooner) MS shoves some new update on it that fucks it up again.

It's a game you can't win, and the only way to win, is not to play.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

There are tons of tools to "fix" win10, but they are all bandaids on broken arms.

Win10 is, designed from the ground up, broken, and no amount of tinkering can fix it.

Because in 6 months (or sooner) MS shoves some new update on it that fucks it up again.

It's a game you can't win, and the only way to win, is not to play.

I appreciate your gusto, but there comes a point in life, if you work IT, where you simply have no choice in the matter, and Windows 10 will be used. In such scenarios, it's good to use such utilities as the Decrapifier for cleaning up the OS. It works quite well.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

if you work IT, where you simply have no choice in the matter

Bollocks

If you are in IT, you are the *exact* person that has *the final say* in the matter.

Or at least in my job I do. Win 10 is not allowed in our office, for multiple reasons, not least of which is the rampant "telemetry" baked right in, and we deal with some *very* sensitive data.

Yes, you *can* block it at the firewall level, assuming you know where all the data streams go, and it's not piggybacking on something like standard internet access.

You have a choice in everything you do, some of us make that stand.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Bollocks

If you are in IT, you are the *exact* person that has *the final say* in the matter.

Baaaaaaaahahahahahaha

giphy.gif

No. Maybe in a small mom & pop shop where you're best friends with the owner. In a corporate structure, with a CEO, board of directors, and management team (all of which do a good job, mind you), you do not have the final say, in that, or in any other matter.

Certain things you can put your foot down, other things you can convince them of the reasoning behind certain things you'd like changed or done a certain way, but ultimately, they make the call, and you do what they tell you.

Besides, as "awful" as Windows 10 is, there are legitimate reasons to make the switch, assuming you're not going Linux (because, frankly, supporting a Linux enterprise environment for desktop and infrastructure would cost more in support anyway, due to having to get people who know and specialize in that area).

The biggest reason is planning ahead. Windows 7 extended support (End of Extended Support - EOES) comes to an end in January of 2020 - that's only next year. I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't want to be scrambling last minute, switching a bunch of computers off of Windows 7 at the last minute once it loses support. And keeping support beyond EOES? Yeah, no thanks. That's a security nightmare waiting to happen. Not to mention the legal and regulatory concerns, since we receive government funding.

Windows 8 or 8.1? That's a potential solution, but then we're back to the exact same issues as Windows 10. It's not the way people want the system to be, and the only way to make it "good", is to make third party modifications, such as Classic Shell/Classic Start, etc.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Or at least in my job I do. Win 10 is not allowed in our office, for multiple reasons, not least of which is the rampant "telemetry" baked right in, and we deal with some *very* sensitive data.

Yes, you *can* block it at the firewall level, assuming you know where all the data streams go, and it's not piggybacking on something like standard internet access.

You have a choice in everything you do, some of us make that stand.

That's fine - in your office, you're able to make that decision. But don't stand there and act like every IT person can just ditch Windows 10. I applaud your ability to make that call.

Windows 10 telemetry is certainly a concern, but there are definitely utilities (such as the one I was describing) that mitigate and disable much of the information collected.

Windows 10 is the devil that I must work with.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Windows 10 telemetry is certainly a concern,

I work for the gov't. I have the power :)

It's the *only* concern. Or should I say, it's a deal killer. Leaking data to some private entity is a *very* bad idea. Especially with what we are dealing with (biologics and terrorism, to name just two)

disable much of the information collected.

But not all, and if you can't kill it all, then what's the point? Something is still slipping through. And since you don't *know* what's slipping through, it's a big deal because the OS can no longer be trusted.

January of 2020 - that's only next year.

Holy chit, it's 2019 already? Why didn't I know this? xD

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I work for the gov't. I have the power :)

It's the *only* concern. Or should I say, it's a deal killer. Leaking data to some private entity is a *very* bad idea. Especially with what we are dealing with (biologics and terrorism, to name just two)

But not all, and if you can't kill it all, then what's the point? Something is still slipping through. And since you don't *know* what's slipping through, it's a big deal because the OS can no longer be trusted.

Holy chit, it's 2019 already? Why didn't I know this? xD

My apologies about “next year”, but seriously, January 2020 is extremely close, so that doesn’t invalidate my point. 

Furthermore we aren’t dealing with biological material or terrorism. 

So, again, you have not invalidated my points. It’s not realistic for you to expect every company to ditch Windows 10, nor for IT to be able to force a ditch.

I’m glad your team don’t have to deal with it. Mine and many others are not so lucky.