Temperature questions and suggestions?

donalgodon

I use an EVGA 1080Ti SC2, and while the hardware is top-notch, the software is a steaming pile of bovine offal on its best day.

Often, it fails to load, so I find my graphics card throttling around 90-92C because the fans simply refuse to spin up.

If I manually load the software into memory, this isn't a problem, but I don't always remember to do so.

My questions are on the following: If I remove the software and just run the hardware profile, the card's built-in fan profile keeps temps around 70C while gaming.  Is that in any way harmful to the card's long-term life?

My normal fan profile was keeping things around 65C while gaming (when the software works). Do you all think those 5C are worth the hassle?

70c is fine , ideally it should be under 80 when its working correctly in a normal room. 

obviously if your room is hot or your case sucks it'll go up . but if everything else is squared away it'll stay under 80 which is good enough.

5 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

I use an EVGA 1080Ti SC2, and while the hardware is top-notch, the software is a steaming pile of bovine offal on its best day.

Often, it fails to load, so I find my graphics card throttling around 90-92C because the fans simply refuse to spin up.

If I manually load the software into memory, this isn't a problem, but I don't always remember to do so.

My questions are on the following: If I remove the software and just run the hardware profile, the card's built-in fan profile keeps temps around 70C while gaming.  Is that in any way harmful to the card's long-term life?

My normal fan profile was keeping things around 65C while gaming (when the software works). Do you all think those 5C are worth the hassle?

They are worth 2-3 years on your GPU, so yes I would say it is worth it, as long as you  are willing to deal with the noise and buying new fans sometime in it's future.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

They are worth 2-3 years on your GPU, so yes I would say it is worth it, as long as you  are willing to deal with the noise and buying new fans sometime in it's future.

Do note, by the time those 2-3 years come into play the card will probably be miserably outdated.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I've never continually run the card at that 90C range. AS soon as I notice it, I will immediately ramp the fans manually, so it's never run for more than 60 seconds that way, but I've had this happen to me probably at least 10 times. 

Has this done damage to my 1080Ti already?

18 hours ago, donalgodon said:

I've never continually run the card at that 90C range. AS soon as I notice it, I will immediately ramp the fans manually, so it's never run for more than 60 seconds that way, but I've had this happen to me probably at least 10 times. 

Has this done damage to my 1080Ti already?

It's not how long you maintain the temp that degrades the card, as long as you don't have it at some unreasonable temperature, the actual issue is that micro fractures form as you raise and lower the temp of the card, since materials such as silicon expand at different rates in comparison to aluminum, gold, and copper.

2 hours ago, donalgodon said:

just use MSI afterburner it's a lot better.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

just use MSI afterburner it's a lot better.

I would love to, unfortunately, it only controls one of the two fans.