CPU frequency & RAM frequency compatibility

Go to solution Solved by DaveE82,
5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

I would recommend searching (sorry I don't know of any :( ) basic examples and tutorials about computers. I have a little pocket "computing dictionary" from about 10 years ago (was a present, I did not actually need/use it :P ).

CPU frequency is how many "cycles" a CPU runs a second. It's like how many instructions or actions it can perform a second. One of the important aspects.

CPU cores is how many concurrent instructions can be run. like having 4 seats in a car, compared to 2. You don't get anywhere quicker, but do get more people there! Most things do benefit from more cores (just as trying to get a football team to a game in a 2 seater Ferrari is gonna take you forever, or getting 1 person around a race track in a bus is useless ;) there needs to be balance).

There are many other things about a CPU that can also make is better, worse, different etc.

RAM speed is generally not a problem or worry. Faster is a little better for Intel systems. For the latest AMD Ryzen, faster RAM is a bit more better, but there are still limits. Research on what speed stops giving any better performance (just like cars, you get to a point where the traffic stuck in front is the limiting factor, not the engine ;) ). 

RAM size. Is in Gigabytes, and most systems will do great on 8GB, heavy workloads may use 16, but it's not a requirement. Most systems can use 2 sticks of the same size on dual channel boards (or 4 on quad channel boards). But again, the performance gain is small, but most people do it out of routine. You could just use 1 stick (of for example 8GB) if on a tight budget.

Motherboards give you the features and connectivity. It heavily depends on what CPU you choose, budget, quality or connectivity needs. But they range from basic, cheap and cheerful, to bells and whistles and space for anything.

Graphics cards (GPUs) do the main display and graphics processing. Not needed if the CPU comes with one, but may be needed if you wish to game.

That’s the best analogy I’ve had TechyBen! Thanks so much, I can go with confidence now on this info and I’ll be careful to check CPU support on Motherboards for my gaming rig journey ☺️??

Hi all!

I’m new to here and also a novice when it comes to computing, so please go easy on me :)

I watch a lot of LinusTechTips videos on YouTube to understand all types of computers, how they work etc and in particular gaming computers.

While I’m new to all this and finding it really fascinating, I have a question as per the subject field, because I want to custom build my own gaming pc someday very soon.

Could I please know if it’s better to have a higher frequency RAM, like 3000MHz when a CPU frequency is rated at like 2666MHz? Or should they be the same (CPU at 2666MHz & RAM at 3000MHz)?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated along with any explanation of how there might be compatibility issues or performance benefits.

Many thanks

Dave :)

You don't need to match the ram and cpu clocks speeds. Higher clock speed is better for both ram and the cpu.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Frequency means nothing for CPU's, as different frequencies perform differently between intel and amd, and even between generations when comparing intel v intel or amd v amd.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, DaveE82 said:

Hi all!

I’m new to here and also a novice when it comes to computing, so please go easy on me :)

I watch a lot of LinusTechTips videos on YouTube to understand all types of computers, how they work etc and in particular gaming computers.

While I’m new to all this and finding it really fascinating, I have a question as per the subject field, because I want to custom build my own gaming pc someday very soon.

Could I please know if it’s better to have a higher frequency RAM, like 3000Ghz when a CPU frequency is rated at like 2666Ghz? Or should they be the same (CPU at 2666Ghz & RAM at 3000Ghz)?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated along with any explanation of how there might be compatibility issues or performance benefits.

Many thanks

They don't need to match.  Bottom line, the faster the better for both CPU speed and RAM, but CPU speed makes a bigger difference in performance.

6 minutes ago, DaveE82 said:

Hi all!

Could I please know if it’s better to have a higher frequency RAM, like 3000Ghz when a CPU frequency is rated at like 2666Ghz? Or should they be the same (CPU at 2666Ghz & RAM at 3000Ghz)?

Many thanks

It doesn't matter if they match the CPU that number is specifies how many times per second it can refresh and take on new instructions, so the higher the better. What's important is that the frequency is compatible with your motherboard.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

10 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

They don't need to match.  Bottom line, the faster the better for both CPU speed and RAM, but CPU speed makes a bigger difference in performance.

Thank you ☺️

5 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It doesn't matter if they match the CPU that number is specifies how many times per second it can refresh and take on new instructions, so the higher the better. What's important is that the frequency is compatible with your motherboard.

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Frequency means nothing for CPU's, as different frequencies perform differently between intel and amd, and even between generations when comparing intel v intel or amd v amd.

Thanks very much ☺️??

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You don't need to match the ram and cpu clocks speeds. Higher clock speed is better for both ram and the cpu.

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Really appreciated and thank you ???

1 minute ago, DaveE82 said:

Thanks very much ☺️??

Your welcome!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

aslong ur motherboard supports it and the ramspeeds arent obsurdly high, htey will most likely run

ram compatibility is mainly done by motherboard support, so just check memory qvl list to see wht the mobo supports +-

if it only supports 1kit 2666mhz but 10kits of 3000mhz id recommend u get 3000 instead of 2666

just remember when installing ram to use the XMP profile

(◑‿◐)

I would recommend searching (sorry I don't know of any :( ) basic examples and tutorials about computers. I have a little pocket "computing dictionary" from about 10 years ago (was a present, I did not actually need/use it :P ).

Oh, and ask back here about any build!!! I have friends/family who only ever ask after they buy stuff, which is the wrong item and/or broken. :S

CPU frequency is how many "cycles" a CPU runs a second. It's like how many instructions or actions it can perform a second. One of the important aspects.

CPU cores is how many concurrent instructions can be run. like having 4 seats in a car, compared to 2. You don't get anywhere quicker, but do get more people there! Most things do benefit from more cores (just as trying to get a football team to a game in a 2 seater Ferrari is gonna take you forever, or getting 1 person around a race track in a bus is useless ;) there needs to be balance).

Threads are a little bit more complicated... it's like if someone could sit on your lap in a car, but only if they were a child... so not a full space. xD

There are many other things about a CPU that can also make is better, worse, different etc.

RAM speed is generally not a problem or worry. Faster is a little better for Intel systems. For the latest AMD Ryzen, faster RAM is a bit more better, but there are still limits. Research on what speed stops giving any better performance (just like cars, you get to a point where the traffic stuck in front is the limiting factor, not the engine ;) ). 

RAM size. Is in Gigabytes, and most systems will do great on 8GB, heavy workloads may use 16, but it's not a requirement. Most systems can use 2 sticks of the same size on dual channel boards (or 4 on quad channel boards). But again, the performance gain is small, but most people do it out of routine. You could just use 1 stick (of for example 8GB) if on a tight budget.

Motherboards give you the features and connectivity. It heavily depends on what CPU you choose, budget, quality or connectivity needs. But they range from basic, cheap and cheerful, to bells and whistles and space for anything.

Graphics cards (GPUs) do the main display and graphics processing. Not needed if the CPU comes with one, but may be needed if you wish to game.

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

aslong ur motherboard supports it and the ramspeeds arent obsurdly high, htey will most likely run

ram compatibility is mainly done by motherboard support, so just check memory qvl list to see wht the mobo supports +-

if it only supports 1kit 2666mhz but 10kits of 3000mhz id recommend u get 3000 instead of 2666

Brill! Thanks very much ☺️

5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

That’s the best analogy I’ve had TechyBen! Thanks so much, I can go with confidence now on this info and I’ll be careful to check CPU support on Motherboards for my gaming rig journey ☺️??

it doesn't matter but if you need to rma for any reason don't tell that to the manufacturer because they could void your warranty if you don't use supported frequencies (happened to me once). 

2 hours ago, Pachuca said:

it doesn't matter but if you need to rma for any reason don't tell that to the manufacturer because they could void your warranty if you don't use supported frequencies (happened to me once). 

Thanks for the info and sorry to hear.

• 5 years later...

I wanna build a pc ,and I have 1 question. Is it possible to use 2x8 ram 3600mhz in ryzen 7 5800x3d when it only supports max frequency 3200mhz. If i can  do that,after i could do an overclock from 3600 to 4000mhz ?

• 1 month later...

Kinda old topic, but none of the answers (that i read many) answered his question specifically, they were all generically obvious, yes to CPU and RAM both, the faster the better. But he asked about RAM speed specifically interacting with the CPU. Should it match the CPU or be higher? And would a little lower speed impact the CPU much? Yes it's obvious for both the higher the better. But the RAM will only perform at the CPU's max speed which is the rated 2666 (as you stated) unless you overclocked it. And vice versa.

Look if you can't specifically answer the question as intended, don't answer with the obvious non-answer. All these brainiacs know computers but can't comprehend and answer a question properly.

How this helps, anyone, even now lol