PUBG Excess Graphics Card Usage?

Hello,

I've been playing PUBG for a while now, and I don't know if this is a new problem or if it has been happening the whole time, but according to task manager, PUBG is using a steady 98% of my card's power on low settings. Also, HWmonitor lists my temperature at a solid 75ish degrees.

I am using a 970 as my driver for this game, but even though it is 4 years old now, I still feel like 98% is excessive especially given that I am playing with all the settings ticked on low. Could it really be that 970s can't handle this game, or is there another issue I need to address. As a side note, I am running in SLI, as my bio says, but I have determined that PUBG does not (yet?) support SLI, so it is disabled when I play. I will list some information that may help troubleshoot below:

Processor: FX 8320 @ 3.5 GHz w/ hyper 212 Evo cooler

Graphics: 2x 970s, but not in SLI for PUBG

Drivers: up to date as of 5/15/18

Game settings: All low, with Vsync off

Monitor: 1080p 144hz

Fan config: 2 front intake; 1 rear exhaust; 1 upper exhaust

It may be important to say that I occasionally get severe lag spikes that will cause my game to freeze for seconds at a time. While this is not so often as to render the game unplayable, it is often enough to make note of. I've included a clip of what I am referring to for visual purposes.

I will do my best to provide any additional information if needed. Thank you in advance for any advice.

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS 2018.05.13 - 21.14.40.19.DVRTrim.mp4

What FPS are you running at? Is it a stable 144 FPS? If it is, try capping the framerate at a little over 144 FPS so that your GPU doesn't have to work to push out frames you don't need.

My 480 is normally pinned at 90+% too, no matter the settings. It actually seems pretty normal with PUBG that it has very high gpu usage.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

A GPU is supposed to run at 100%, this means it's performing at its peak which is a good thing. Otherwise, it's bottlenecked or capped otherwise.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I see nothing wrong here. If your GPU wasn't running at 100%, then that means you aren't getting the full value of your card.

32 minutes ago, j0ngle said:

but I have determined that PUBG does not (yet?) support SLI

SLI was supported in PUBG until 388.71. If you're on 388.59 (which is what I recommend unless you play a newer game that needs newer drivers), all you need to do is set AA and Effects to Low. If you're on 388.71 or newer, you can manually re-add SLI support using Nvidia Inspector.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

I have a 1080Ti and I run the game on mostly low except for a few settings and my GPU is pegged at 100%. It's a demanding game that is not optimised well.

11 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

I see nothing wrong here. If your GPU wasn't running at 100%, then that means you aren't getting the full value of your card.

SLI was supported in PUBG until 388.71. If you're on 388.59 (which is what I recommend unless you play a newer game that needs newer drivers), all you need to do is set AA and Effects to Low. If you're on 388.71 or newer, you can manually re-add SLI support using Nvidia Inspector.

This is immensely helpful. I'll try that next time I play

1 hour ago, j0ngle said:

This is immensely helpful. I'll try that next time I play

You're welcome.

One thing I wanted to touch up on is that if you are using 388.71 and need to re-add the SLI bits/mode, the same still applies with 388.59 where you need to set AA and Effects on low. This is because AA on medium, high, and ultra uses TAA, which isn't SLI friendly. You could leave effects on medium, high, or ultra, but it's not fully optimized, and can prevent both cards from hitting 100%.

On my personal rig, I get worse performance on 388.71 and newer, which I assume has something to do with how Nvidia "optimized" PUBG in newer drivers. I haven't tried 397.64 yet though. Because of this, if PUBG is the newest game you play, I personally recommend using 388.59, unless of course Nvidia fixed the performance issue with 397.64 and you don't mind re-adding the SLI bits/mode with Inspector.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

PUGB are poor optimized, so it will run bad in every PC :P

try ghost recon wildlands and be happy and amazed with the graphics 

On 5/15/2018 at 10:56 AM, xwboy said:

What FPS are you running at? Is it a stable 144 FPS? If it is, try capping the framerate at a little over 144 FPS so that your GPU doesn't have to work to push out frames you don't need.

PUBG itself is capped at 144fps.