SE316M or DL160G6 fan noise

I read those two topics about similar issues, but not the exact goal.

I am running a SE316M server and think it is a great machine. Ony issue is that the fans can be reduced only to 50% of their speed. With full speed they sound like an aircraft engine but that is only for a few secs at boot-up. But while 50% a lot better it still is too much to have it in the same room and - most of all - too much for the load of the system. Using the LightsOut console one can see that the server is rarely above idle mode for most of the time and temperatures are all at very low values. BIOS just have a single setting to enable max power saving, which is active.

It seems to me that there is a block somewhere that the fans will not drop below 50% for some reason.

Based on a vague statement of a HPE community member (see link here), one can read between the lines that it should be possible to get the down to below 50%. This is what I am looking for. I would like to do this without installing some hardware faking another PWM pulse, because that would basically disable the power management.

So I would like to check if there are people out there who can confirm any of this

• Yes, its possible to get a SE316M /DL160G6 below 50% fan speed
  • Is the rumor true that the system will not drop below 50% when there is any hardware the power managment system can not identify?

My DL380G7 runs around 15-20% fan speed most of the time. I expect a DL160 to be a bit louder because of its form factor at any percentage, but % doesn't equal decibels, y'know. Really depends on the fans used.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Hey, thanks for that info. The G7 is a newer generation but not too far off. So there is hope. The hardware is all original HP and looking at its internals and the ligh number of temperature sensors all over the place, I can not see why a 1U model should not be able to get down to 20% as well. The Hi performance side works well: When I put the server into an enclosed cabinet the fans are able to stablilize it fine in a 40°C ambient temp envirnonment.

Update: I found out some new bits

• The iLO firmware claims in a online help file that from iLO2 v1.75 not the BIOS but this firmware would be controlling the fans. It says "To save power, fans will be run at the lowest possible speed and may even be shut off if not needed".
  • Some web posts mention that noise reduction does not work if BIOS and firmware (i guess they refre to the iLO firmware) do not match. I have seen no references on where to check which versions are considered a match, though

Sounds great, if the board would only be doing that. Unfortunately just got a reply from a HPE support request with a friendly slap in the face. So not information at all from that side...