Linus should revisit Windows Mixed Reality?

Go to solution Solved by Rune,

Nah. Not enough has really changed to warrant it.

In this video 

Linus discussed the windows mixed reality headset and its feature. His main takeaways were that it was an easier, neater alternative that lacked some features of its rivals (Rift and Vive). One of his major gripes with these headsets. other than the name is incorrect was the pricing. it was $500 so it was not a budget headset, but now it is being sold for 250 dollars brand new on Amazon. Personally, a revisit to this topic would be really cool and it would be nice to hear his thoughts.

By changing the price, you do not magically change the specs or the experience of a device/technology.

I’m not a gamer and therefore also not really following this mixed reality vibe. So I’m not aware of any progress made on that field. However, if improvements have been made to the device, then it might be worth checking out.

23 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

By changing the price, you do not magically change the specs or the experience of a device/technology.

I’m not a gamer and therefore also not really following this mixed reality vibe. So I’m not aware of any progress made on that field. However, if improvements have been made to the device, then it might be worth checking out.

by changing the price it changes the value/performance of the headset. you can now get a really good budget vr headset. its really cool

On 5/13/2018 at 2:12 AM, VegetableStu said:

anything new you'd like to point out? (e.g. UI, software, games, display improvements etc)

better price to features. at 250 dollars it is a budget offering that doesnt require alot of hassle. i think it would make a good revisit

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 2:12 AM, VegetableStu said:

anything new you'd like to point out? (e.g. UI, software, games, display improvements etc)

P R I C E   T O    P E R F O R M A N C E

On 2018-05-12 at 10:08 PM, IanwithanE said:

but now it is being sold for 250 dollars brand new on Amazon.

But for $500 you can get a Vive that will give you an experience you'd actually want to use for more than 15 minutes at a time...

We need to grow the VR market, not turn more people away from it. The only Windows Mixed Reality headset that I'd ever consider recommending people sink money into is the Samsung Odessey, and even then if you're playing shooters and stuff I'd strongly recommend picking up properly tracked controllers, defeating the "ease of setup" of the Mixed Reality systems.

Not worth it. Even at $250 it doesn't offer half of what the Vive does

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

16 hours ago, Canada EH said:

nothing new besides price

plus linus is too busy making promotional sponsored videos

It gets better, want till you see whats on floatplane...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

31 minutes ago, Jrock said:

It gets better, want till you see whats on floatplane...

Wish I cared, dont watch clickbait no more

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Wish I cared, dont watch clickbait no more

But after a while, YouTubers are getting pretty good at disguising clickbait as genuinely interesting videos... makes it that more difficult to distinguish them

Just now, Christophe Corazza said:

But after a while, YouTubers are getting pretty good at disguising clickbait as genuinely interesting videos... makes it that more difficult to distinguish them

Joe Rogan does not do that. Some of his guests were interesting. I just watch the weeks highlites.

Didn't knew him... looked him up...

Indeed, apparently he does not participate in clickbait, although that isn't very difficult since he almost always uses the same thumbnail ;):P

On 5/23/2018 at 10:55 AM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Not worth it. Even at $250 it doesn't offer half of what the Vive does

Explain? Please watch blunty's videos on the headsets. They offer all the same feature except they don't use beacons to track the hands, they use the headset itself. what does the vVve offer the windows mixed VR doesn't?

On 5/23/2018 at 10:54 AM, Rune said:

I liked your response because it gave a pretty good reason for not filming a new video :)