Multiple monitor/computer conundrum

I currently have a laptop and a desktop.

The desktop is attached to the both monitor, while the laptop is attached only to the monitor closer to it.

I usually only use my desktop at home, but I connect the laptop every now and then, I'm getting synergy as well, so I can use the desktop peripherals to control both computers.

Here's where it gets interesting. The monitor that is shared, sometimes I'll use it with my desktop, sometimes with my laptop. However, when I switch inputs on my monitor, the device whose extra screen I just took out will still act as it's still there (it is, I just can't see it).

Is there any fast way I can create two monitor configurations for my devices (one which uses the middle monitor and the one which doesn't) and have them switch with a keystroke? Something simpler than messing with the display settings.

That way, when I need to change the configuration, I only need to change the input on the monitor and do whatever the quick action is on each device for them to adapt to the new situation.

Any ideas?

There are kvm switches, a box on desk that you connect your inputs and you switch between pcs, add to this a HDMI switch and you are good to go

Multimonitor software can do this. I have DisplayFusion which allows you to create profiles and, yes have either hotkey or dropdown list to switch.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv