Power saving issue

hi, i recently had to move house and i have to save power to its optimal out of respect for grandparents now i need to have my rig on 24/7 and ive tried every power saving setting in the bios

my rig wont go below pulling 100watt and i cant seem to figure out what the hell is causing it

do maximus vi hero boards just eat that much power in general? :(

got a 970gtx in it aswell but im starting to wonder if its the gpu or not, it should go in idle mode only eating 10watts, where the heck does the 90watt come from (  i guess mobo )

any powersaving tips welcome ( regedits or advanced tips , done all u can do in windows but not regedit )

my current idea is to pull out that gpu and just play some emulators or smt xD

rig has 4690k , 16gb ram , 970gtx , maximus vi hero, bronze psu

also i dont got money atm to change hw

and honestly i thought maximus vi hero was good at powersaving, maybe i missed some important settings in there as its an advanced board and  i never had to use powersaving settings,  enabled speedstep,  pci-e power saving features ,  i saw somthing with power threshhold  as 80a beeing most powersaving, but i got no clue how to mess with those so i left em at auto

(◑‿◐)

You can't pay some money to your grandparents every month for the extra power? 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

You can't pay some money to your grandparents every month for the extra power? 

i was forced to move out of the house to other side of the country so lost my job iwth it, unemployeed atm and waiting to be registered here before i can get a job, sadly not an option for atleast a few months ;c

it was due to mom breakin up with stepdad and i was livin there aswell

if my situation gets worse im on the edge of beeing homeless so

(◑‿◐)

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

sleep it?

are c states on?

What specs?

Is hdd spindown on?

i got c states and everything enabled in cpu settings to save power, c7 long latency

cannot use sleep id rather pull out a gpu if id had to choose between those :c , specs are in main post

ive seen rigs go to like 15watt idle so im baffled why the heck its 100w idle

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i was forced to move out of the house to other side of the country so lost my job iwth it, unemployeed atm and waiting to be registered here before i can get a job, sadly not an option for atleast a few months ;c

it was due to mom breakin up with stepdad and i was livin there aswell

if my situation gets worse im on the edge of beeing homeless so

Jesus. I'm sorry to hear that.

Talk to your grandparents about doing chores or whatever around the house in exchange for leniency on power consumption or whatever.

There's only so much you can do to get your power consumption as low as possible. IIRC high end ASUS boards do draw somewhat more power than other brands.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 minute ago, Phentos said:

Jesus. I'm sorry to hear that.

Talk to your grandparents about doing chores or whatever around the house in exchange for leniency on power consumption or whatever.

There's only so much you can do to get your power consumption as low as possible. IIRC high end ASUS boards do draw somewhat more power than other brands.

its a situation even when chores arent possible, they live in a spot with care atm, i live in their old house that they are forced to sell soon ( specially if i eat that electricity alot )

isnt there any advanced settings like the threshhold stuff i can mess with to make it go super low in power consumption? i got no clue about those settings ( i usually disable em n go eat as much power as possible due to oc and tweaking xD )

my only option is to pull out the gpu and go onboard or disconnect all fans ( keep cpu fans on )

(◑‿◐)

7 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

its a situation even when chores arent possible, they live in a spot with care atm, i live in their old house that they are forced to sell soon ( specially if i eat that electricity alot )

isnt there any advanced settings like the threshhold stuff i can mess with to make it go super low in power consumption? i got no clue about those settings ( i usually disable em n go eat as much power as possible due to oc and tweaking xD )

my only option is to pull out the gpu and go onboard or disconnect all fans ( keep cpu fans on )

you could downclock your GPU and CPU... that would save power at the cost of performance.  or outright disable cores in BiOS

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Just now, MedievalMatt said:

you could downclock your GPU and CPU... that would save power at the cost of performance.  or outright disable cores in BiOS

yeah i was thinking about undervolting but when i did underclock the gpu and cpu i didnt see a difference in idle consumption o,o ( which is darn weird that it still pulls 100watt idle )

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

The real question is why do you have to always have it on?

its coz i was forced move now i got a ldr(coz of the move) and i dont wanna get murdered by gf too ( lol ik but trust me xD u dont wanna get murdered )

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

its coz i was forced move now i got a ldr(coz of the move) and i dont wanna get murdered by gf too ( lol ik but trust me xD u dont wanna get murdered )

You can still communicate by phone (messaging apps and whatnot). And if she's truly your gf, she would understand that you can't always be on your PC :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You can still communicate by phone (messaging apps and whatnot). And if she's truly your gf, she would understand that you can't always be on your PC :P

she is but after beeing together 24/7 for more then a year its hard to smash it in her u know :v

im currently considering setting up a laptop for it, they should consume less power , or just take out my gpu o,o 

my current options are,   searching a fix for this unbelievable 100watt idle ,  fix the laptop and use that for call,  or sell my rig and build a powersaving based rig p.p ( am gonna be stuck for a while with low money i guess x_x )

i just think its friggen strange for a rig to have 100watt idle with powersaving modes enable, it just doesnt seem right to me :v

(◑‿◐)

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

I would start lopping cores in the BiOS.... disabling RGB would help too.  Mechanical drives consume more power than an SSD... so maybe disconnect it?  Try running with 2 cores, no hyperthreading.  and downclock your GPU by half if you can.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

3 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

I would start lopping cores in the BiOS.... disabling RGB would help too.  Mechanical drives consume more power than an SSD... so maybe disconnect it?  Try running with 2 cores, no hyperthreading.  and downclock your GPU by half if you can.

i underclocked gpu, cpu and for some akward friggen reason it increased my idle consumption by 10watt . wht the heck

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i underclocked gpu, cpu and for some akward friggen reason it increased my idle consumption by 10watt . wht the heck

Underclocking does not directly change power consumption. Undervolting does. So, well, undervolt.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

32 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Underclocking does not directly change power consumption. Undervolting does. So, well, undervolt.

the load watts reduce undervolting + underclocking, idle watt remains same ( 100 watt what the heck ;c )

(◑‿◐)

22 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

the load watts reduce undervolting + underclocking, idle watt remains same ( 100 watt what the heck ;c )

have you considered that maybe your meter only starts measuring at 100Watts.... and anything less will register as such?

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

Also.... 100Watt is a little more than a single incandescent Light Bulb... can you not just turn less lights on??

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

3 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

have you considered that maybe your meter only starts measuring at 100Watts.... and anything less will register as such?

it registers 5watt usb chargers :v that aint the issue really

2 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

Also.... 100Watt is a little more than a single incandescent Light Bulb... can you not just turn less lights on??

i already put power saving bulbs in haha

100watt idle its like 200-300watt gaming x_x  maybe i should really just try to take out the gpu x_x, i still wonder if that power threshhold or somthing ( those power settings in mobo ) can help with the idle tho, however i got no darn clue how that system works

(◑‿◐)