What's a good router? (<$150)

Wolfca
Go to solution Solved by ltguy,

I'd probably suggest the asus RT-AC68u. I wouldn't try to sell you on any other QOL items or even suggest you spend more money on a router. All those $200-300 routers claim to fame is just a bunch of quality of service traffic shapping crap. You have 200meg internet.... what do you need QOS for?

I'm sure some of the super expensive routers have ac wave 2 stuff but at the price you're better off buying a ubiquiti ac hd and have something you can actually use for years to come.

Now that i answered your question in a direct and judgement free manner i will make a shameless plug and say dont be afraid to get your hands dirty and build a pfsense rig if you feel like tinkering abit.

Hey guys-

I'm moving into a new apartment, and I'll have 200 meg internet, and I'm opting to get my own router. I'm assuming the ones that my ISP (Spectrum) offers are mediocre at best. I'm hoping to get:

• Dual band (because there will be a bajillion other networks)
  • Wireless AC (my desktop and laptop support it)
  • General non-suckiness
  • Future proofed (not sure if that's a concern, but at least needs to be something that will last *years* not *months*
  • Security features are a plus
  • Needs to not be ugly
  • Feel free to sell me on other QOL things

I'll likely be putting in in a center area in the apartment, and will do my best to leave it in an open area.

Thanks in advance!

My PC:

O11 Dynamic | Ryzen 2600 | Vega 56 | EK Fluidgaming | Crosshair VI Hero | 16GB DDR4 3000 | CoolerMaster v750 | LG 27GN950 | Beyerdynamic DT 990

NetGear Night Hawk is usually what I suggest; given your budget you can likely get the AC 1750 or 1900

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I'd probably suggest the asus RT-AC68u. I wouldn't try to sell you on any other QOL items or even suggest you spend more money on a router. All those $200-300 routers claim to fame is just a bunch of quality of service traffic shapping crap. You have 200meg internet.... what do you need QOS for?

I'm sure some of the super expensive routers have ac wave 2 stuff but at the price you're better off buying a ubiquiti ac hd and have something you can actually use for years to come.

Now that i answered your question in a direct and judgement free manner i will make a shameless plug and say dont be afraid to get your hands dirty and build a pfsense rig if you feel like tinkering abit.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Going for the Asus... Because I think it looks better :)

Thanks guys-I didn't want to accidentally order something that was garbage

My PC:

O11 Dynamic | Ryzen 2600 | Vega 56 | EK Fluidgaming | Crosshair VI Hero | 16GB DDR4 3000 | CoolerMaster v750 | LG 27GN950 | Beyerdynamic DT 990

Just wanted to chime in, my last router was an Asus and loved it. I had the N66U which was also DD-WRT compatible, but honestly the baked in features were enough.