Ryzen 2700 or 2700x for gaming ?

Hi , should i buy the 2700 or the 2700x for gaming ? i dont want to be doing any manual overclocking and i will be using the stock cooler 
also the cooler it runs the better for me because i live in a hot place 
thanks in advance guys =D

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you dont want to OC, just get the 2700X.

how hot will it run while gaming and rendering ? and does it run cooler than intel ? 

1 minute ago, epsilon84 said:

2700X, comes with a better stock HSF and clocks boost a lot higher too out of the box. 

does it run hotter than the non x ? or the better cooler makes it the same ?

Just now, Therios said:

how hot will it run while gaming and rendering ? and does it run cooler than intel ? 

How should I know?

Depends on your case airflow, ambient temperature, voltage during the load, the kind of load, etc...

But the stock cooler is more than adequate and way better than anything from Intel.

Just now, Therios said:

How long is a piece of string? That depends entirely on your ambient temps and case airflow, we can't possibly tell you what temps you will get.

But the Wraith Prism on the 2700X will definitely be sufficient to boost clocks to around 4.0GHz for gaming, maybe a touch lower for rendering if your ambient temps are high (AMD XFR/PB2 on the Ryzen 2000 chips are very sensitive to temps)

Why does it matter if it runs cooler than Intel or not? Don't see how that is relevant, but again, 'it depends'. Intel makes a whole range of CPUs, you know ;)

2 minutes ago, epsilon84 said:

How long is a piece of string? That depends entirely on your ambient temps and case airflow, we can't possibly tell you what temps you will get.

But the Wraith Prism on the 2700X will definitely be sufficient to boost clocks to around 4.0GHz for gaming, maybe a touch lower for rendering if your ambient temps are high (AMD XFR/PB2 on the Ryzen 2000 chips are very sensitive to temps)

Why does it matter if it runs cooler than Intel or not? Don't see how that is relevant, but again, 'it depends'. Intel makes a whole range of CPUs, you know ;)

but anyways he stock cooler is suposed to handle 4ghz with a good ambient temps and a good csae airflow ? 
and is it possible to be gaming with 3,9 - 4ghz and staying under 60c *with a good ambient temps*

6 minutes ago, epsilon84 said:

also i mean will the 2700x run hotter because its higher 105tdp ?

4 minutes ago, Therios said:

but anyways he stock cooler is suposed to handle 4ghz with a good ambient temps and a good csae airflow ? 
and is it possible to be gaming with 3,9 - 4ghz and staying under 60c *with a good ambient temps*

Yes, from what I've seen, if your ambient temps are around 20C (or even a bit above) and you have good case airflow then the stock HSF should be able to maintain a 4.0GHz boost clock for gaming.

Rendering is more CPU intensive, and it *may* drop down to 3.9GHz or so depending on how hot the CPU runs. If temps are below 60C under full load then it generally boosts to 4.0GHz, above 60C is where the turbos start becoming less aggressive.

1 minute ago, Therios said:

also i mean will the 2700x run hotter because its higher 105tdp ?

Yes, the 2700X does run hotter than the 2700, because it boosts a lot higher.

Yes, the 2700X does run hotter than the 2700, because it boosts a lot higher.

so do you think it will be enough or i should get a better cooler ?  if i will only game 

so do you think it will be enough or i should get a better cooler ?  if i will only game 

The stock cooler is more than enough for gaming, or even rendering. 

If you upgrade your cooling you *might* boost 100MHz higher when rendering over the stock cooler. Thats it. 

The stock cooler is more than enough for gaming, or even rendering. 

If you upgrade your cooling you *might* boost 100MHz higher when rendering over the stock cooler. Thats it. 

thank you for helping , i was worried about the temps but now i understand 
all the benchmarks i see use stress tests so they use all 8 cores 
games will use only 4 threads and not maxed out 
i saw uniengine benchmark hut 35.88c  witch is really good 

16 minutes ago, Therios said:

thank you for helping , i was worried about the temps but now i understand 
all the benchmarks i see use stress tests so they use all 8 cores 
games will use only 4 threads and not maxed out 
i saw uniengine benchmark hut 35.88c  witch is really good 

Bingo. You got it. Games aren't nearly as demanding on the CPU as rendering and stress tests, so you have nothing to worry about! Enjoy your new purchase :)

5 minutes ago, epsilon84 said:

Bingo. You got it. Games aren't nearly as demanding on the CPU as rendering and stress tests, so you have nothing to worry about! Enjoy your new purchase :)

stock Ryzen 1700x i see typical CPU game usage on The Division of about 30%. It would be higher if i threw more frames at the screen, but i'm capped out at 70fps (OC'd monitor)

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

stock Ryzen 1700x i see typical CPU game usage on The Division of about 30%. It would be higher if i threw more frames at the screen, but i'm capped out at 70fps (OC'd monitor)

what temps do you get ?

18 minutes ago, Therios said:

what temps do you get ?

50c on an AIO cooler? maybe? i'll check tonight when i get my game on and update the thread or send you a PM.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

50c on an AIO cooler? maybe? i'll check tonight when i get my game on and update the thread or send you a PM.

i see that the max temp in the ryzen spec page is 85c what does that mean ? 
when i go over 85 i will damage it ?

15 minutes ago, Therios said:

i see that the max temp in the ryzen spec page is 85c what does that mean ? 
when i go over 85 i will damage it ?

no it'll start to throttle. i think tjmax is thermal shutdown. 105C? i don't remember. Reports indicate 95c is shutdown. you will never see these under normal to abnormal usage. Silicon can take a butt load of heat and ther built-in protections will keep it from damaging itself from thermals. no such protection from voltage however. not a concern for you since you're going to keep it stock.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

no it'll start to throttle. i think tjmax is thermal shutdown. 105C? i don't remember. Silicon can take a butt load of heat and ther built-in protections will keep it from damaging itself from thermals. no such protection from voltage however. not a concern for you since you're going to keep it stock.

then staying lower than 85 is perfectly safe or it will have a shorted life span than if its running at 70 ?
i mean will higher temps reduce its life span ? or if they just under 85 it will be the same ?

3 minutes ago, Therios said:

then staying lower than 85 is perfectly safe or it will have a shorted life span than if its running at 70 ?
i mean will higher temps reduce its life span ? or if they just under 85 it will be the same ?

well rapid thermal cycling will shorten the lifespan of anything. heat causes components to expand. Silicon can take it pretty well, but there you have it. I would suggest that if you see a constant 85C when doing anything, something is wrong with the thermal solution you are using and needs to be revisited. with the stock cooler on the 2700x... you wont have a problem keeping temps below 65C (with good ventilation and airflow).

Most people would consider 85C hot and not a temperature to breach both for longevity and stability. the hotter it gets, the less stable it becomes. that's a general rule.

System specs:

well rapid thermal cycling will shorten the lifespan of anything. heat causes components to expand. Silicon can take it pretty well, but there you have it. I would suggest that if you see a constant 85C when doing anything, something is wrong with the thermal solution you are using and needs to be revisited. with the stock cooler on the 2700x... you wont have a problem keeping temps below 65C (with good ventilation and airflow).

at what clocks ?

at what clocks ?

stock clocks... so that's 3.7 GHz all-core?

System specs:

stock clocks... so that's 3.7 GHz all-core?

what about 4ghz gaming temps ?