Best PC remote control application for a VPN network?

Im setting up a personal VPN network that allows my laptop to access other computers on my home network when i'm not there (so I can access files, fix home server issues remotely, and starting renders for projects on my main pc), but I can't find the ideal software to remotely manage my linux and windows machines. These are my requirements:

I plan to use 2 different software: one for GUI access and one for command line access,

GUI access: (windows, ubuntu, ex)

-not buggy

-good performance (not 3fps video feed, hoping for at least 10fps)

-lightweight (chrome remote desktops requires chrome, which is very resource intensive)

-local (not online based, preferably with no account signup)

-secure (options for encryption)

-does not require any user input on the machine im connecting to (which means no teamviewer)

-free of cost

-my ideas: VNC?

Command line access: (Ubuntu server)

-not buggy

-lightweight

-local (not online based, preferably with no account signup)

-secure (options for encryption)

-does not require any user input on the machine im connecting to

-free of cost

-not too complicated to set up

-my ideas: putty?

If anyone has used some software that has served them well, or knows some software I can try, please suggest them. I'm not looking for anything gimmicky like file transfer or clipboard functionality, I just need remote access. Any suggestions appreciated.

for windows you can use the build in remote connection tool and control is possible with powershell.

just a little bit of port forwarding and firewall configuration :) 
and if you have a dynamic public ip you would need dyndns (so similar service)

1 minute ago, djboy6480 said:

just a little bit of port forwarding and firewall configuration :) 
and if you have a dynamic public ip you would need dyndns (so similar service)

I have tried to use Remote Desktop before on a standard 1GBPS network with nothing but issues and bad performance with its video feed can be as bad as 5fps. I also need to interface with linux GUI and command lines, which as far as I know, it does not support natively.

I work daily with RDP and even a 100 Mbit connection can handle 1080p +30FPS so ether you have huge performance issues in you network or weak hardware. I would recommend monitoring for network traffic for a while. 

and with powershell you can enter a SSH session so no putty needed :) 

2 minutes ago, djboy6480 said:

I work daily with RDP and even a 100 Mbit connection can handle 1080p +30FPS so ether you have huge performance issues in you network or weak hardware. I would recommend monitoring for network traffic for a while. 

well... my experience was on windows wist/7 so.... I am willing to try it, but this does not fully solve the problem of trying to interface with linux based machines. Know any software that can allow me to do that with RDC?

well you could try TeamViewer Host (win/linux compatible) 

Just now, djboy6480 said:

well you could try TeamViewer Host (win/linux compatible) 

As I said in the original post, I don't like teamviewer because it is cloud based, something i'm not a fan of, and if you don't want to write down codes, you have to create an account, something else id rather not do. I want something completely local. I was just wondering which solution works best. I was thinking more like VNC, but I am not familiar with it.

oh and by the way win7 gets no more Security updates only if you pay for the extended support (and I dont think you do) and even then on 14. Januar 2020 its done for good.
No more
Security updates = bad

:)

Just now, djboy6480 said:

oh and by the way win7 gets no more Security updates only if you pay for the extended support (and I dont think you do) and even then on 14. Januar 2020 its done for good.
No more
Security updates = bad

:)

Don't worry, i don't use windows 7, that's just where my experience comes from (4-ish years ago)

Quote "I don't like teamviewer because it is cloud based, something i'm not a fan of"

I know I dont like it ether (also the whole cloud thing) thats why I have a 40TB NAS  

sadly I a not a Linux guy so sadly I cant help you on that front :/

7 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

VNC can also be used on linux. When i use it for Mathematica on my Pi the framerate depends on how much of the screen changes at once. With 1gbit and a faster cpu the fps should always be above 10 fps.

For files SMB or FTP is the standard (filezilla). 

For ssh Kitty is nice to use (improved putty fork).

Do you know what VNC software I should use (realVNC, open VNC, tightVNC?)