Custom wood/aluminium cases

Kamjam21xx
3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Well im all ready to start making camera equipment, which is what i want to do. Just interested in the concept end here, for a case.

Not interested in the business end, got that covered haha. It will be just me, if i have any questions i know the owner of a bearing manufacturer who can probably help.

9 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Because it literally doesn't matter. Air flow is what cools the PC.

And a vent is just a hole. You can make holes in wood. It's not hard.

Try making a vent like the one i pictured easily in wood, you'll mess with the structural integrity

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

13 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Try making a vent like the one i pictured easily in wood, you'll mess with the structural integrity

Well gee idk, theres a quick idea. Just a sketch basically.

I was thinking id punch vents out of steel and mount them to a wood panel.

still brain storming15258683120821839400073.thumb.jpg.71ea820061bac8bde2b27b8d1f220ac6.jpg15258683570371673792800.thumb.jpg.751fbc6850c18d23c5d41a8796528b9c.jpg

I really dont want to make the most complex thing.

13 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Well gee idk, theres a quick idea. Just a sketch basically.

I was thinking id punch vents out of steel and mount them to a wood panel.

still brain storming

I really dont want to make the most complex thing.

so that's not making small holes in wood, that's making large holes in wood, putting metal in place and cutting lots of small holes in metal, so I'm not sure how you intended this as an argument to my point

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

so that's not making small holes in wood, that's making large holes in wood, putting metal in place and cutting lots of small holes in metal, so I'm not sure how you intended this as an argument to my point

Well im just brainstormin. id quick change it to show you what i mean, but my girlfriends on my computer. We only got one workstation at the moment, and we both use it... sigh lol

I was just showing ya, just to show ya really. Ill probably make 5 or 6 more of these, that ones not even done. Never made a pc case before, so i got a lot to figure out.

Something like this would be hard to achieve at a reasonable price as wood that you arent buying from lowes is sold by the board foot and these are hardwoods generally ranging expensive from the posts in the chat so far ive seen alot of walnut not cheap at all its an expensive species. Heat would not be as much of an issue with a harder wood as the grain in less porus but this could also be a bad thing without proper ventilation the wood could potentially retain heat airflow would be important. Also name a computer pert that isnt glowing red that can ignite wood? If your computer reaches temps like those you need to get that checked out a problem could also come at the point of quality bending aluminum is hard unless you are contouring it to a tight bend as seen in  a few of those pictures aluminum has a tendency to bend like an accordian also looks would matter dont pull the classical YouTube tutorial and have drywall screws sticking out of the side of the case these two are good examples i hope youre not thinking of one of them beastly open air computer cases something like taking a case like a Rosewill FMB-01 and butchering it that way you have a motherboard mount and dont have to ziptie graphics card in and stuff like that that case is cheap but small all you would need it for is too get a motherboard mount and a pci card bracket to prevent an improper mounting solution. Also use mesh instead of percisley drilling holes in places that wont be seen try to make the fan mesh in places like the back and dont put it l;ike dead on the front.  If you are looking for real ideas about building a wooden pc case check out John Heisz on YouTube he has made a few of great quality not laptop mini pc's the plywood one i put in shows a great example of the exposed screw joinery i was talking about go for looks and preformance.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

Something like this would be hard to achieve at a reasonable price as wood that you arent buying from lowes is sold by the board foot and these are hardwoods generally ranging expensive from the posts in the chat so far ive seen alot of walnut not cheap at all its an expensive species. Heat would not be as much of an issue with a harder wood as the grain in less porus but this could also be a bad thing without proper ventilation the wood could potentially retain heat airflow would be important. Also name a computer pert that isnt glowing red that can ignite wood? If your computer reaches temps like those you need to get that checked out a problem could also come at the point of quality bending aluminum is hard unless you are contouring it to a tight bend as seen in  a few of those pictures aluminum has a tendency to bend like an accordian also looks would matter dont pull the classical YouTube tutorial and have drywall screws sticking out of the side of the case these two are good examples i hope youre not thinking of one of them beastly open air computer cases something like taking a case like a Rosewill FMB-01 and butchering it that way you have a motherboard mount and dont have to ziptie graphics card in and stuff like that that case is cheap but small all you would need it for is too get a motherboard mount and a pci card bracket to prevent an improper mounting solution. Also use mesh instead of percisley drilling holes in places that wont be seen try to make the fan mesh in places like the back and dont put it l;ike dead on the front.  If you are looking for real ideas about building a wooden pc case check out John Heisz on YouTube he has made a few of great quality not laptop mini pc's the plywood one i put in shows a great example of the exposed screw joinery i was talking about go for looks and preformance.

Oh i know what im doing. I mill my own wood, i know the owners of multiple lumber yards, etc. Idk, i dont want to go over the viability and quality. 

I wouldnt do it if i couldnt make it top notch. So beyond any of that^

1 hour ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Oh i know what im doing. I mill my own wood, i know the owners of multiple lumber yards, etc. Idk, i dont want to go over the viability and quality. 

I wouldnt do it if i couldnt make it top notch. So beyond any of that^

Glad to hear im looking for a project in shop class at school and i have lots of time and a bad case at the moment that has shit airflow and makes my stuff overheat i think i know what ill be doing now best of luck to you in your quest

7 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

Glad to hear im looking for a project in shop class at school and i have lots of time and a bad case at the moment that has shit airflow and makes my stuff overheat i think i know what ill be doing now best of luck to you in your quest

Hey nobody accomplishes anything without trying (: