550W or 650W? - Which one should I get?

Stxbbs
Go to solution Solved by seon123,
2 minutes ago, Stxbbs said:

Okay, sucks that its out of stock on amazon.. ugh http://prntscr.com/jezux8

Does anyone have any alternatives at a very similar price at 650W?

You don't need 650W. The TXM is fine, and costs £57. The Pure Power 10 is actually very decent, even though it's more of a budget unit. Kills the CX/M

I have read the pinned post which gives information, still not exactly sure which I should go for. Below contains the list of parts which I am purchasing in the next coming days, all I am unsure about is the PSU. I originally planned to purchase a 550W power supply but now I have shifted into thinking of getting a 650W to give me some breathing room. Would you agree with this move or has anyone got a better idea. Thanks.

The 550W Power Supply : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

650W EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£58.67 @ Amazon UK)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (£284.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 11.1g Thermal Paste  (£13.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£98.91 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£328.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.79 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.79 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£99.98 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£58.67 @ Amazon UK)
Wired Network Adapter: TP-Link - TG-3468 PCI-Express x1 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Adapter  (£8.48 @ PC World Business)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM  120mm Fans  (£17.97 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 107.4 CFM  140mm Fan  (£19.92 @ Ebuyer)

Graphics Card: GTX 1060 6GB Zotac - Plan to upgrade at some point.
Total: £1079.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-07 21:20 BST+0100

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Yeah, not just because of the wattage, but the G2 is just a solid unit overall.  For almost the same price it makes sense.

Thought so, thanks for the info.

5 minutes ago, Stxbbs said:

Thought so, thanks for the info.

Solid.  Also besides that, I noticed your build has two HDDs but no SSD.  You planning on a RAID 0?

I'd go for an SSD+HDD instead personally.

No GPU? For a 1080 Ti, get a 550W if you overclock. For anything less, get a 450-550W. 

If you don't care about noise, either of those will be fine. 

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

No GPU? For a 1080 Ti, get a 550W if you overclock. For anything less, get a 450-550W. 

If you don't care about noise, either of those will be fine. 

I already have a GTX 1060 6GB to put in but I plan to upgrade to a 1080Ti. I guess the 550W PSU which I linked would be fine?

Just now, Stxbbs said:

I already have a GTX 1060 6GB to put in but I plan to upgrade to a 1080Ti. I guess the 550W PSU which I linked would be fine?

Yes, as long as you don't expect a very quiet PSU

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Solid.  Also besides that, I noticed your build has two HDDs but no SSD.  You planning on a RAID 0?

I'd go for an SSD+HDD instead personally.

I have a SSD sitting here on my desk waiting to be added, so I will have two HDDs and a SSD.

Just now, seon123 said:

Yes, as long as you don't expect a very quiet PSU

Not really bothered about noise, how come its not very quiet?

3 minutes ago, Stxbbs said:

Not really bothered about noise, how come its not very quiet?

The TXM has a high idle RPM and no passive mode. The G2 has an aweful fan control and a high RPM once the fan kicks in (as usual for EVGA branded PSUs). 

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

For point of reference, I have a 650w GQ.  The fan barely kicks on because I hardly load it to capacity.  G2 (made by super flower) is even better than GQ (made by FSP).

Just now, seon123 said:

The TXM has a high idle RPM and no passive mode. The G2 has an aweful fan control and a high RPM once the fan kicks in (as usual for EVGA branded PSUs). 

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

The G2 (made by super flower) is even better than GQ (made by FSP).

The manufacturer doesn't matter. FSP makes the Dark Power Pro 11, SF makes the B3. And that doesn't matter either. 

Just now, seon123 said:

That's true.  I'm generally ok with this because my noise tolerance goes way up during gaming.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The manufacturer doesn't matter. FSP makes the Dark Power Pro 11, SF makes the B3. And that doesn't matter either. 

I kinda know that, my intention was more was to point out that the GQ/G2 were different units despite being both under the EVGA name.  He may not have known that so I wanted to point it out without being too technical.  They're both respectable makers.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

That's true.  I'm generally ok with this because my noise tolerance goes way up during gaming.

Is there any alternatives to the G2 650W, can't get it at the moment. If not I will probably just get the 550W.

I have a g3 650 W EVGA and it is amazingly quiet..

I had a 750 w corsair rmx  and it's not even close. The EVGA is wayyy more silent.

Go EVGA

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

You don't need 650W. The TXM is fine, and costs £57. The Pure Power 10 is actually very decent, even though it's more of a budget unit. Kills the CX/M

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

I have a g3 650 W EVGA and it is amazingly quiet..

I had a 750 w corsair rmx  and it's not even close. The EVGA is wayyy more silent.

Go EVGA

And that's where what you're saying differs from reality. Look, here's some measurements for both. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=36&volts=1

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=28&volts=1

And as you can see, the RMx is quiet, the G3 is not. 

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Thanks for all the help and information. Looks like I will be buying the TXM tommorrow.

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

And that's where what you're saying differs from reality. Look, here's some measurements for both. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=36&volts=1

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=28&volts=1

And as you can see, the RMx is quiet, the G3 is not. 

That might be attributed again to the fan curve feature on the G3.  You can fact check me on that.  
I think I've brought up in the past that there's merit to both designs. 

That might be attributed again to the fan curve feature on the G3.  You can fact check me on that.  
I think I've brought up in the past that there's merit to both designs. 

Fan curve feature? That the RPM of the fan changes depending on the temperature? Just like in pretty much any PSU?

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Fan curve feature? That the RPM of the fan changes depending on the temperature? Just like in pretty much any PSU?

I'm saying the average noise output may be based on all loads, and it may just be tuned differently on lower loads is all.