PG258Q VS PG278QR

Zorkath

Hello.

I am wondering which one of these monitors is better for my use. I currently have a BenQ XL2420Z and I'm noticing it's age. There's a random line across the bottom half and I am in need of a upgrade which is why I'm here.

The specs of my pc are an Ryzen 1950X and a Asus gtx 1080Ti. The games I mostly play are overwatch,The witcher 3,League of Legends, Cs:go and Fallout 4. 

If I missed anything important just ask. Thank you in advance!

If my memory serves correctly, one of those monitors is a 27-inch 2560x1440p 144hz Gsync IPS, and the other is a 25-inch 240Hz Gsync TN. 

Now, the two monitors you're looking at are TOTALLY different. One is an e-sports oriented panel, the other is a general productivity/gaming monitor. Both are pretty pricey as well. Given the games you play, I wouldn't say 240hz is a requirement, and you'll probably be fine with 144hz. Given your specs, 1440p144hz is totally doable, and as someone who games on the same resolution, it's awesome. Gsync means that on titles like The Witcher 3, being below 144hz is still a smooth gaming experience, but the high refresh rate will still help out on e-sport titles.

I would go for the PG278QR, if the choice is strictly between those two monitors, and you absolutely want to upgrade. 240hz on a 1080p screen just isn't compelling enough, unless you spend WAY more time playing Overwatch, CS:GO, League of Legends, Fortnite, PUBG, or any other titles like that than you do single-player games.

It's still a rather pricey monitor, though. Dell has a similar 27-inch, 1440p, 144hz Gsync panel but it's TN, however it's also a lot cheaper and goes on sale often. You could look into that.

Edit: Turns out the PG278QR is TN as well, all the more reason to look into the Dell monitor if you're interested.

3 minutes ago, StillKindaNew said:

If my memory serves correctly, one of those monitors is a 27-inch 2560x1440p 144hz Gsync IPS, and the other is a 25-inch 240Hz Gsync TN. 

Now, the two monitors you're looking at are TOTALLY different. One is an e-sports oriented panel, the other is a general productivity/gaming monitor. Both are pretty pricey as well. Given the games you play, I wouldn't say 240hz is a requirement, and you'll probably be fine with 144hz. Given your specs, 1440p144hz is totally doable, and as someone who games on the same resolution, it's awesome. Gsync means that on titles like The Witcher 3, being below 144hz is still a smooth gaming experience, but the high refresh rate will still help out on e-sport titles.

I would go for the PG278QR, if the choice is strictly between those two monitors, and you absolutely want to upgrade. 240hz on a 1080p screen just isn't compelling enough, unless you spend WAY more time playing Overwatch, CS:GO, League of Legends, Fortnite, PUBG, or any other titles like that than you do single-player games.

It's still a rather pricey monitor, though. Dell has a similar 27-inch, 1440p, 144hz Gsync panel but it's TN, however it's also a lot cheaper and goes on sale often. You could look into that.

PG278QR is TN as well

23 minutes ago, StillKindaNew said:

Edit: Turns out the PG278QR is TN as well, all the more reason to look into the Dell monitor if you're interested.

The Dell monitor is out of my price range. It costs a lot more in my country for some reason. The PG278QR is currently on sale for 683 usd which is cheaper than the PG258Q which is 720 usd. I spend a lot of time playing competitive fps games but I am afraid that I am missing out not going for the 1440p 165hz option.

EDIT: PG258Q is a 1080P 240Hz TN panel. The PG278QR is a 1440p 165Hz Tn Panel.