unstable cpu at stock speed

ELLISRKE

I recently had some trouble building a new system where I would constantly receive blue screens... I tried for week to fix anything I could and took it in for repair twice with no solution :0

as a last resort I overclocked my cpu (8600k) to 5ghz and its completely stable now.... however it makes the system loud when under load and I would like to run a little less intense overclock but I'm scared the bsod's will come back.

does anyone know why it could cause errors at stock speed and stock bios settings?

That is absolutely strange. Has the event viewer told you anything that might be happening?

What software was installed and what fan are you currently using to cool the CPU?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

That is absolutely strange. Has the event viewer told you anything that might be happening?

What software was installed and what fan are you currently using to cool the CPU?

its got a corsair liquid cooler (a 2x120), nothing installed at the time, and event viewer and crash logs kept blaming other random stuff

1 minute ago, ELLISRKE said:

its got a corsair liquid cooler (a 2x120), nothing installed at the time, and event viewer and crash logs kept blaming other random stuff

To me the overclocking from my understanding gives the CPU more voltage. My thoughts go to the CPU possibly not getting enough voltage when it's idle which may result in blue screens of death. The suggestion I'm going to make here is to possibly try RMA'ing your board, or seeing if someone else can provide another CPU to test that theory. If the PC is still crashing on idle, it could lead to a poor motherboard.

On the other hand, if the other CPU runs perfectly fine on idle, you may have a faulty CPU. I've never heard of a CPU failing on idle unless it wasn't cooled properly.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Lower it to 4.8 so your AIO can handle it

Or, lower it to the stock speed again, but force 1.25V and disable the C states and power saving related stuff so it runs always at the same frequency, run some tests on it to see if it's stable

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

22 minutes ago, ELLISRKE said:

does anyone know why it could cause errors at stock speed and stock bios settings?

Maybe you increased the voltage while overclocking? Stock voltages should be enough for a stable system at stock speeds, but if your motherboard defaults to Multi Core Enhancement = ON, then it may not be. You can check this GN video about it:

Spoiler

If it defaults to MCE=OFF, then it has to be something else.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Maybe you increased the voltage while overclocking? Stock voltages should be enough for a stable system at stock speeds, but if your motherboard defaults to Multi Core Enhancement = ON, then it may not be. You can check this GN video about it:

Reveal hidden contents

If it defaults to MCE=OFF, then it has to be something else.

I tried it on and off

11 hours ago, ELLISRKE said:

I recently had some trouble building a new system where I would constantly receive blue screens... I tried for week to fix anything I could and took it in for repair twice with no solution :0

as a last resort I overclocked my cpu (8600k) to 5ghz and its completely stable now.... however it makes the system loud when under load and I would like to run a little less intense overclock but I'm scared the bsod's will come back.

Clear the CMOS.

That'll reset everything back to factory settings.

If you're still getting the BSOD after that, contact intel and ask for a replacement because that should not be happening at stock speeds and I would not personally settle with it.

Could be the board too, but I'm betting it's the CPU.