Games running over monitor max refresh rate

Hi all, 
Hopefully you can point me in the right direction here.

I have an issue where Rainbow Six Siege will run above the maximum refresh rate of my monitor, which causes all kinds of screen tear when using GSYNC.

I've set the monitor refresh rate to 142hz so it doesn't ever reach the maximum of 144hz. I've also set the game settings to 142hz yet it continues to go above this whilst playing the game.

Any ideas? Apologies if that is way more confusing than it needs to be.

CPU - INTEL CORE i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz (6CPUs)

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

RAM - 16GB

Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z370P

Case - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P400

Display(s) - ACER PREDATOR XB241H, DELL  S2716DG

Mouse - ROCCAT KONE XTD, LOGITECH G403

Keyboard - RAZER ORNATA, RAZER BLACKWIDOW X TOURNAMENT

Use vsync either in the game itself or force it on in the control panel

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

You need to limit the FPS, not the Hz.

Also, if using G-Sync you should not experience tearing. Are you sure it's activated?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Use both Gsync and Vsync. Gsycn reduces tearing when the fps is under the monitor refresh rate, Vsync when the fps is above the refreshrate.

5 minutes ago, Eibe said:

You need to limit the FPS, not the Hz.

Also, if using G-Sync you should not experience tearing. Are you sure it's activated?

GSYNC is definitely enabled. The issue I'm having here is I purchased a GSYNC monitor to not have to use VSYNC as I like to play with the lowest possible input lag. Is there a way I can do this without VSYNC? 

RAM - 16GB

5 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Use both Gsync and Vsync. Gsycn reduces tearing when the fps is under the monitor refresh rate, Vsync when the fps is above the refreshrate.

I've been looking into using RIVATUNER. Does this cause less input lag than VSYNC?

RAM - 16GB

1 minute ago, sKetchyy said:

I've been looking into using RIVATUNER. Does this cause less input lag than VSYNC?

Just try putting on vsync in game settings. Vsnyc causes input lag only at 30-59 fps, but at high refreshrates it shouldn't.

19 minutes ago, sKetchyy said:

GSYNC is definitely enabled. The issue I'm having here is I purchased a GSYNC monitor to not have to use VSYNC as I like to play with the lowest possible input lag. Is there a way I can do this without VSYNC? 

There is usually an option in-game to limit the FPS (depends on the game).

I don't know about NVIDIA Control Panel (I have an AMD Radeon GPU), but in my AMD graphic settings I can limit the FPS of certain applications directly from the driver, so that I can limit the framerate even if the game does not have an option to do so.

Check if NVIDIA as something similar in NVIDIA Control Panel or GeForce Experience.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304