Which speakers

Hi,

I am in search for a replacement for my once loved Edifier S730.

My current ideas are:

1. KRK RP6 G3 (pair) or KRK RP8 (pair), stands & foam

or

2. Audioengine A5+

or

?????????

The Edifier S730 was good but it was far too loud and far too much bass and not that good treble / mids.

The speakers will be used for pc gaming, movies and music listening... And rare occasions of FLStudio use with usb keyboards.

Suggestions, thoughts anyone?

none of those. AudioEngine is overpriced and KRK is tonality wise off. KRK has a thing for making speakers that easily turn into a muddy mess and then basically no detail retrival in the mids. You will be better off with a set of JBL LSR 305 (new or old version)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I am still a big fan of the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 as a "all-in-one" easy to use desk top speaker

I have a pair of KRK rokkit 6s and a s10 sub. I wouldnt personally agree with dackzy opinion on them but then but I kind of feel like I get whats hes getting at there is something with the speakers which isnt right. But for day to day music listening and for TV and movies which is what i use them for there pretty decent. And the sub makes the ground rumble nicely but if you dont get a sub they still do make a thump. If you want to be all high and mighty and get those perfect speakers with crisp sound and whatever. There probably not for you but also at the same time I think you need to fuck off.

KRK are normally cheaper in Europe due to them being German and JBL shipping in from America. But then again KRK is owned by Gibson and they just bankrupted soooooo.

If you are after those perfect sounding speaker I personally recommend behringer truth series. There like a skoda, its a decent car, but a shit brand.

What do you guys think of the JBL LSR308 or the JBL LSR305?

Is the 308 worth the extra cost?

Is the 308 too much for a living room? Movies, gaming and music.

13 hours ago, Starglider said:

Hi,

I am in search for a replacement for my once loved Edifier S730.

My current ideas are:

1. KRK RP6 G3 (pair) or KRK RP8 (pair), stands & foam

or

2. Audioengine A5+

or

?????????

The Edifier S730 was good but it was far too loud and far too much bass and not that good treble / mids.

The speakers will be used for pc gaming, movies and music listening... And rare occasions of FLStudio use with usb keyboards.

Suggestions, thoughts anyone?

Not related to your posts but you Profile GIF is really trippy

13 hours ago, Dackzy said:

none of those. AudioEngine is overpriced and KRK is tonality wise off. KRK has a thing for making speakers that easily turn into a muddy mess and then basically no detail retrival in the mids. You will be better off with a set of JBL LSR 305 (new or old version)

Really? That's not what I hear from my Rokit5 G3's.....^_^

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

14 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Really? That's not what I hear from my Rokit5 G3's.....^_^

They are fine for every day things, but since he listed FL studio, so I assume that he wants to make beats and mix music, which I wouldn't use them for.

3 hours ago, Starglider said:

What do you guys think of the JBL LSR308 or the JBL LSR305?

Is the 308 worth the extra cost?

Is the 308 too much for a living room? Movies, gaming and music.

I would say that depends on how far away you sit. For a distance of around 1-2m I found from my testing that a 8" just isn't good for mixing/making beats (even when the bass and mid-bass is EQed down), but if you sit far away like you normally do in a living room type of setup, then 8" is probably good/fine.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I'm still google fooing which ones to get...

Usage: 100% PC connected, no need for mobile connectivity etc

PC Usage: 40% Music listening, 40% Movie watching and 10% FLStudio messing about (nothing professional, fun hobby, with my oxygen 49 usb keyboard)

So now thinking of setting up 2 x JBL LSR308 on each side of the room... Not sure... Might be overkill, maybe the 305 is a better idea... Maybe the KRK 508 and 506 are the same?

24 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I would say that depends on how far away you sit. For a distance of around 1-2m I found from my testing that a 8" just isn't good for mixing/making beats (even when the bass and mid-bass is EQed down), but if you sit far away like you normally do in a living room type of setup, then 8" is probably good/fine

I would be about 2 to 5ft away from the speakers, depending on which side of the sofa I would be sitting on (I'm a corner seat kinda guy)...

But when working I would be center room and about 4ft to 5ft away from both.

I'm am thinking about mounting the speakers on the left and right of the sofa on stands rather than on the desk/table positions.

layout.png

17 minutes ago, Starglider said:

I would be about 2 to 5ft away from the speakers, depending on which side of the sofa I would be sitting on (I'm a corner seat kinda guy)...

But when working I would be center room and about 4ft to 5ft away from both.

I'm am thinking about mounting the speakers on the left and right of the sofa on stands rather than on the desk/table positions.

layout.png

Are those blue lines only 2-5ft? If so then the 308 will most likely require you to EQ the mid-bass down. It would be best if you could get a measurement mic and then do a room EQ, if you can't do that, then from my experiences I would get the 305 or if you can get the LSR 306p, then those. Since with the 308 and no room EQ your mix might come out bass light since you sit so close to them. You probably have the best chance of getting a well balanced mix with the 305 without EQ and at that distance.

Though keep in mind the 308 would be pretty awesome for action movies and if you enjoy a bit more elevated bass then music too. 

If you know a place where you can try them or loan them, then do that. The best would to get one of each to test in your room, but that would probably only be possible if you buy them or as I said earlier loaned them.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Are those blue lines only 2-5ft?

Going by image above, the room is 280cm (9.2ft) top to bottom, and 310cm (10.2ft) left to right...