144hz on my BenQ ZOWIE XL2411 Monitor

iMDarker

So i just bought this new monitor and i can't get it to 144hz.

I'm using it with my dell 7577 that has an hdmi and a thunderbolt3 port.

I've tried using it with hdmi to hdmi and it only works to 60hz 1080p.

I also tried hdmi to dvi-d and got the same results.

If i bought a thunderbolt3(usb-c) to hdmi or a thunderbolt3(usb-c) to dvi-d could i get it running 144hz 1080p?

I don't know if your computer can output at 144hz.  I think you need at least hdmi 1.4, and if you don't have that, you will probably have to get a pci-e extension to run more than 60hz.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

I don't know if your computer can output at 144hz.  I think you need at least hdmi 1.4, and if you don't have that, you will probably have to get a pci-e extension to run more than 60hz.

I've searched online and some people use 144hz with this computer with thunderbolt 3 to display port but since i my monitor doesn't have display port i was wondering if i could do the same with dvi-d

Just now, iMDarker said:

I've searched online and some people use 144hz with this computer with thunderbolt 3 to display port but since i my monitor doesn't have display port i was wondering if i could do the same with dvi-d

I wouldn't know, but as long as your dvi-d can output 144hz, then it should work.

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

I wouldn't know, but as long as your dvi-d can output 144hz, then it should work.

Isn't thunderbolt 3 able to output 144hz? 

7 minutes ago, iMDarker said:

Isn't thunderbolt 3 able to output 144hz? 

Yeah but your dvi-d has to be able to, otherwise if you can't output from that, then you can't output it from the adapter

My current rig:

35 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Yeah but your dvi-d has to be able to, otherwise if you can't output from that, then you can't output it from the adapter

Can i use this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01BJ0HQK6/ref=asc_df_B01BJ0HQK652120192/?tag=googshopit-21&creative=23390&creativeASIN=B01BJ0HQK6&linkCode=df0&hvdev=c&hvnetw=g&hvqmt= ?

Edit: sorry if it's italian this is the english link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BJ0HQK6/ref=asc_df_B01BJ0HQK652120192/?tag=googshopit-21&creative=23390&creativeASIN=B01BJ0HQK6&linkCode=df0&hvdev=c&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=

26 minutes ago, iMDarker said:

All type-C to DVI adaptors available right now are only single link which only supports 1080p 60hz. Maybe if you got a DisplayPort connection out of a thunderbolt hub and then adapted it to DVI-D with an active cable, it may work but I can't garuantee it. @Glenwing may know...

See Section 0 here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3675170/connect-120-display-construction.html

11 minutes ago, Sombra said:

All type-C to DVI adaptors available right now are only single link which only supports 1080p 60hz. Maybe if you got a DisplayPort connection out of a thunderbolt hub and then adapted it to DVI-D with an active cable, it may work but I can't garuantee it. @Glenwing may know...

Never tested it, as I don't have a laptop with USB-C/TB3 output, otherwise I would know :(

I think I have that monitor. From memory, it only works over dual link DVI. HDMI on it was too old a version to support it. Don't know how you can get dual link DVI if not native.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 minutes ago, Sombra said:

So i would need to thunderbolt 3 to displayport and then display port to dvi-d?

35 minutes ago, iMDarker said:

So i would need to thunderbolt 3 to displayport and then display port to dvi-d?

yeah, more specifically an active adaptor to DVI-D

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=DVI

though keep in mind that this is an 'in theory' solution. I have no idea if it'll work irl in your specific case.

5 minutes ago, Sombra said:

yeah, more specifically an active adaptor to DVI-D

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=DVI

though keep in mind that this is an 'in theory' solution. I have no idea if it'll work irl in your specific case.

So this is the only solution? Usb-c to dvi-d won't work?

2 minutes ago, iMDarker said:

Usb-c to dvi-d

usb c to dvi d doesn't exist right now.

All USB Type-C to DVI adapters currently available are Single-Link only. Even adapters that claim to support formats like 2560×1440 at 60 Hz or 3840×2160 at 30 Hz, normally achieved with Dual-Link DVI, are actually still only Single-LinkDVI adapters. They can support higher modes by operating in Single-Link mode at double frequency, but this is outside DVI spec and will only work on very specific displays such as the Dell U2711. On all other displays, these adapters will be limited to 1080p 60 Hz like any other Single-Link DVI adapter, so they cannot be used with 1080p 144 Hz or 1440p 60 Hz monitors as a substitute for a Dual-Link DVI connection.

- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=DVI

11 minutes ago, iMDarker said:

So this is the only solution? Usb-c to dvi-d won't work?

All USB-C to DVI adapters are Single-Link only as far as I know. You need a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter.

I would recommend returning the monitor and getting one with DisplayPort or support for 144 Hz over HDMI though.

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

All USB-C to DVI adapters are Single-Link only as far as I know. You need a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter.

I would recommend returning the monitor and getting one with DisplayPort or support for 144 Hz over HDMI though.

Do you recommend any monitor at that price point

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

ViewSonic XG2401 is usually around the same price and supports 144 Hz over DisplayPort and HDMI.

The Viewsonic XG2402 looks so much better and it only is 20€ more i guess i will buy that 

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

ViewSonic XG2401 is usually around the same price and supports 144 Hz over DisplayPort and HDMI.

Are the Viewsonic XG2401 and the Viewsonic XG2402 the same right?

8 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Actually nvm what do you think about this one: https://www.amazon.it/Samsung-C24FG73-Monitor-FreeSync-Quantum/dp/B071RP6WVL/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525109293&sr=1-8&keywords=144hz

and this one: https://www.amazon.it/Asus-VG248QE-Gaming-Monitor-1920x1080/dp/B00B19T7QC/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525109293&sr=1-11&keywords=144hz

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

That's a good option too. Goes up to 144 Hz over DisplayPort or 120 Hz over HDMI.

I think i'm going to return my current monitor and buy this one: https://www.amazon.it/Samsung-C24FG73-Monitor-FreeSync-Quantum/dp/B071RP6WVL/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525109293&sr=1-8&keywords=144hz

and a thunderbolt3 to display port cable so i can get it running at 144hz

Thanks for helping me understand cables and how they work better.

Just now, iMDarker said:

I think i'm going to return my current monitor and buy this one: https://www.amazon.it/Samsung-C24FG73-Monitor-FreeSync-Quantum/dp/B071RP6WVL/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525109293&sr=1-8&keywords=144hz

and a thunderbolt3 to display port cable so i can get it running at 144hz

Thanks for helping me understand cables and how they work better.

Sounds good :)