Cleaning the PC.

NotFestiveOwl

Hi, I didn’t know where to put this, so...

My dad says it’s ok to clean PCs from the inside with a vacuum cleaner, and I’m saying no, the static and bla bla bla, am I right or he is? Just want to prove my point haha.

Static electricity COULD be a problem, but I've done it often and never had any problems.

It really depends more on your environment and clothing than the vacuum cleaner.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Blowers maybe? They sell them on Amazon so i cant see why not? I would be against hoovers though just in case, you dont want small pieces of your pc being sucked up xD

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

5 minutes ago, ericmeyer said:

Hi, I didn’t know where to put this, so...

My dad says it’s ok to clean PCs from the inside with a vacuum cleaner, and I’m saying no, the static and bla bla bla, am I right or he is? Just want to prove my point haha.

have done the opposite (blowing out air instead of vaccuming) but haven't faced any issues when I did use vaccum. Maybe it depends on how powerful the vaccum is ?

@Jaminahat

time to clean out my PC 

*Takes out vacuum, removes all parts and starts cleaning* 

Time for  the motherboard 

*Sucks up CPU chip*

Huh my pc won't work anymore.... what happened?

more sad to think this has most likely happened......

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

cleaningl with a vacuum cleaner wouldn't do any harm, atleast considering you don't please the electro engine close to it, the magnetic field from the vacuum cleaner's engine is most likely to be the bigger issue since it creates a potentially damaging electromagnetic field

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

4 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

cleaningl with a vacuum cleaner wouldn't do any harm, atleast considering you don't please the electro engine close to it, the magnetic field from the vacuum cleaner's engine is most likely to be the bigger issue since it creates a potentially damaging electromagnetic field

A vacuum cleaner can create an ESD that can damage components since the nozzle usually comes into contact with the components. Use a vacuum cleaner in reverse is usually safe as long as the nozzle doesn't come too close to any components. What you said about at vacuum cleaner having a potentially damaging electromagnetic field is pure nonsense.

A good blower, such as the DataVac, is far superior and safer for removing dust.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

11 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

A vacuum cleaner can create an ESD that can damage components since the nozzle usually comes into contact with the components. Use a vacuum cleaner in reverse is usually safe as long as the nozzle doesn't come too close to any components. What you said about at vacuum cleaner having a potentially damaging electromagnetic field is pure nonsense.

A good blower, such as the DataVac, is far superior and safer for removing dust.

well i have a vacuum cleaner from like ussr times some, old one

Pay attention to humidity levels. Make sure you're above about 50% and you're probably good.

Typically it's compressed air that causes more of a static problem.

And like compressed air, make sure to not let fans spin really fast when blowing/sucking them.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

10 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Pay attention to humidity levels. Make sure you're above about 50% and you're probably good.

Typically it's compressed air that causes more of a static problem.

And like compressed air, make sure to not let fans spin really fast when blowing/sucking them.

Compressed air doesn't cause a static problem as long as the nozzle doesn't touch anything. Moisture in compressed air is more of a problem although a good dryer in the output of the tank will take care of that.

Not everyone has the luxury of living where humidity levels routinely are over 50%. Where i live, 50% is rare; single digits are more common.

True about not spinning fans. In fact, it's easier and safer to just block them from spinning at all.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Compressed air doesn't cause a static problem as long as the nozzle doesn't touch anything. Moisture in compressed air is more of a problem although a good dryer in the output of the tank will take care of that.

Not everyone has the luxury of living where humidity levels routinely are over 50%. Where i live, 50% is rare; single digits are more common.

True about not spinning fans. In fact, it's easier and safer to just block them from spinning at all.

I've had ESD from compressed air happen. It was winter in my area and humidity was around 20% or less. Only happened to me once, though I live in a high humidity area. 

TBH, if you live in an area single digits are common, I'd recommend an ESD strap or at least double checking you are grounded, touch the case side, etc. That's like crazy high chance of ESD in the first place, air compressor or not. 

Office I work at had a problem with hvac this winter and humidity was around 10% (much lower than outside air). We were getting shocked by everything. I put my hand about 6 inches away from a 1080 on a mining rig to see if it changed when I was messing with the fan curve (tons of the same card, loud, trying to identify cards lol) 

Anyway never touched it, still shocked it from very far away and knocked it offline, thankfully didn't permanently kill it. Really gave me a new perspective on low humidity areas. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 4/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, Alex Colson said:

@Jaminahat

time to clean out my PC 

*Takes out vacuum, removes all parts and starts cleaning* 

Time for  the motherboard 

*Sucks up CPU chip*

Huh my pc won't work anymore.... what happened?

more sad to think this has most likely happened......

xD I meant things such as loose screws etc, Would just be a ballache

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10