Submerging my mouse

Hatsjer
Go to solution Solved by Hatsjer,

A friend of mine linked me to this ifixit Disassembling Guide and now I know what to do without putting the electronics at risk.  For those wondering is it only the G10 + G8 button that I need to "Fix"

I can't believe I was foolish enough to think there were no screws.

This isn't technically a troubleshooting, but it's a question I need answered, so I figure this is the best place. 

I have accidentally spilled soda over my mouse. I got some of it, but i missed other parts. The buttons still work, but one button is very difficult to press, and the other is almost impossible. The water of the soda is gone, but the sticky goo still remains.

A friend of mine suggested that I'll submerge the mouse to get rid of the soda. (and then let it dry for a good while)

Which temperature water should I use? Hot or cold? Or does it not matter? 

The mouse in question is a Logitech G700. 

(Also, I'll be away for most of the day, so don't expect much reply from me until about 19:00 / 7PM Central European Time) 

34 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Submerging it in water won't do anything other than maybe kill the mouse.

You should open it up, clean it and put it back together.

There are no screws accessible, and I don't want to pop it open. 

But from my understanding, as long as I let it dry long enough for all of water to dry out, before using it again, should it be fine..? 

31 minutes ago, Hatsjer said:

There are no screws accessible, and I don't want to pop it open. 

But from my understanding, as long as I let it dry long enough for all of water to dry out, before using it again, should it be fine..? 

I don't know anything about the electric circuit of a mouse, so I can't answer that for you.

The mouse may work if you let it dry out for like a week before using it, but the water will cause permenant damage to the electronics inside the mouse. You will probably have to either open it and clean it with isopropyl alcohol or maybe try submerging it in the alcohol for a minute or so and just pray that after it dries for a week that it still works.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

6 hours ago, Hatsjer said:

This isn't technically a troubleshooting, but it's a question I need answered, so I figure this is the best place. 

I have accidentally spilled soda over my mouse. I got some of it, but i missed other parts. The buttons still work, but one button is very difficult to press, and the other is almost impossible. The water of the soda is gone, but the sticky goo still remains.

A friend of mine suggested that I'll submerge the mouse to get rid of the soda. (and then let it dry for a good while)

Which temperature water should I use? Hot or cold? Or does it not matter? 

The mouse in question is a Logitech G700. 

(Also, I'll be away for most of the day, so don't expect much reply from me until about 19:00 / 7PM Central European Time) 

Submerge it in high proof rubbing alcohol after taking it apart if you can.

Then leave it in front of a fan for a week or two.

That should do it.

Alcohol evaporates and takes water with it. It's also safe to use on electronics and it's a solvent so it should help get rid of the stickiness with the help of a little elbow grease.

A friend of mine linked me to this ifixit Disassembling Guide and now I know what to do without putting the electronics at risk.  For those wondering is it only the G10 + G8 button that I need to "Fix"

I can't believe I was foolish enough to think there were no screws.