Slow download speed on wifi (Laptop) HELP

Hello everyone,

First of all, i want to apologize for my bad knowledge od english.

I have some old laptop HP Pavilion g7 and two months ago i decided to refresh os and I installed new Windows 10. After that my download speed on this laptop only is 4-5Mbps instead of 30-40Mbps, but upload speed is normal (20-30Mbps).

First i thought that driver may cause the problem, so I've installed new driver and i still had that problem. Than I've installed older versions of driver but the problem still remains. 

I tried to install new OS, so I tried with Win 7, Win 8, Kali, Backbox and Ubuntu but the problem is still here.

I don't believe that router is problem because all other devices are working propertly on both frequencies, 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz.

I hope that someone can help me, i don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you in advance.

How are you testing this? Speedtest? Download speed via a browser? Something else?

How far away from the router are you?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Over speedtest, download speed via browser and torrent.

Router is like 7-8 meters away from laptops without walls in between.

3 hours ago, uzivkovic97 said:

Over speedtest, download speed via browser and torrent.

Router is like 7-8 meters away from laptops without walls in between.

Are you connected to a 2.4GHz or 5GHz network? Even on 2.4GHz you should still see around 30-60mbps tops, but to get anything higher you normally need to connect to the 5GHz network since it's capable of speeds over 60-70mbps. If you let me know the exact HP G7 model or part number, I can confirm whether or not there are actual drivers for Windows 10 for your particular wireless chipset inside the laptop.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

21 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Are you connected to a 2.4GHz or 5GHz network? Even on 2.4GHz you should still see around 30-60mbps tops, but to get anything higher you normally need to connect to the 5GHz network since it's capable of speeds over 60-70mbps. If you let me know the exact HP G7 model or part number, I can confirm whether or not there are actual drivers for Windows 10 for your particular wireless chipset inside the laptop.

I am connected to a 2.4GHz. I will let you know soon the exact model. But i had before Windows 10 and wifi worked normal.

EDIT: This problem is happening on all kinds of OS.

5 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

I am connected to a 2.4GHz. I will let you know soon the exact model. But i had before Windows 10 and wifi worked normal.

But i had before Windows 10 and wifi worked normal.

Only one of those can be true... Anywho, if you say it worked better on Windows 7, for example, this points to drivers not playing nicely with Windows 10, which is definitely a possibility should the laptop be older. That's why I was going to check the exact model number on HP's parts website to find out what WiFi card is inside, and see if there are updates from the manufacturer of the card itself.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

41 minutes ago, kirashi said:

But i had before Windows 10 and wifi worked normal.

Only one of those can be true... Anywho, if you say it worked better on Windows 7, for example, this points to drivers not playing nicely with Windows 10, which is definitely a possibility should the laptop be older. That's why I was going to check the exact model number on HP's parts website to find out what WiFi card is inside, and see if there are updates from the manufacturer of the card itself.

It was worked good on previous Windows 10. 

I had no problems before but idk what happened in the meantime.

Model is HP PAvilion g7, i can't find specific model, but serial number is 5CD24942N9
Model of WiFi card is: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b|g|n 

5 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

It was worked good on previous Windows 10. 

I had no problems before but idk what happened in the meantime.

Model is HP PAvilion g7, i can't find specific model, but serial number is 5CD24942N9
Model of WiFi card is: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b|g|n 

Tada! All the parts in your computer are available at the following link:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=5CD24942N9

Unfortunately, it looks like the last officially supported driver from HP is from 2012, so I'd go ahead and manually try to install the more updated drivers from the following link. You'll need to extract the ZIP to a folder on your desktop (or somewhere else) then right-click on your wireless adapter in device manager and choose update, selecting the local folder on your computer as the source.

http://download.drp.su/driverpacks/repack/WLAN-WiFi/Atheros/FORCED/10x64/WiFi_10.0.3.458/Atheros-FORCED-10x64-WiFi_10.0.3.458-drp.zip

https://drp.su/en/devices/wifi/atheros/qualcomm-atheros-ar9485-802-11b-g-n-wifi-adapter?os=windows-10-x64

While I cannot vouch for using Driver Pack Solution's automated installation EXE's (same as any 3rd party driver provider out there) I can vouch for the authenticity of the driver files themselves as I use DRP.SU quite often when doing repairs on clients computers if Windows fails to find drivers I need. As always, backup first, ask questions later.

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Tada! All the parts in your computer are available at the following link:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=5CD24942N9

Unfortunately, it looks like the last officially supported driver from HP is from 2012, so I'd go ahead and manually try to install the more updated drivers from the following link. You'll need to extract the ZIP to a folder on your desktop (or somewhere else) then right-click on your wireless adapter in device manager and choose update, selecting the local folder on your computer as the source.

http://download.drp.su/driverpacks/repack/WLAN-WiFi/Atheros/FORCED/10x64/WiFi_10.0.3.458/Atheros-FORCED-10x64-WiFi_10.0.3.458-drp.zip

https://drp.su/en/devices/wifi/atheros/qualcomm-atheros-ar9485-802-11b-g-n-wifi-adapter?os=windows-10-x64

While I cannot vouch for using Driver Pack Solution's automated installation EXE's (same as any 3rd party driver provider out there) I can vouch for the authenticity of the driver files themselves as I use DRP.SU quite often when doing repairs on clients computers if Windows fails to find drivers I need. As always, backup first, ask questions later.

I tried with drivers on HP Website.

I will try now to install one of those two drivers and let you know what is happened.

8 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

I tried now, and it says that the best drivers are already installed.

Then there's not a whole lot else you can do, aside from replacing the WiFi card or re-installing Windows again just to ensure nothing's broken with the installation. If you're still getting slow speeds when you're right beside the modem only with that particular laptop, and power cycling or factory resetting your modem doesn't do the trick, then I'm out of ideas.

9 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Then there's not a whole lot else you can do, aside from replacing the WiFi card or re-installing Windows again just to ensure nothing's broken with the installation. If you're still getting slow speeds when you're right beside the modem only with that particular laptop, and power cycling or factory resetting your modem doesn't do the trick, then I'm out of ideas.

I will try to re-install Windows one more time, if I still get this problem, I will try to find a new WiFi card.

Thank you very much.