HDD and SSD Questions and Upgrades

Anonymous Se7en

So im considering to upgrade my old build from an HDD to an SSD.

I already know that SSD's are much faster than HDD's, but was very curious how fast my current WD Caviar Black 1TB is in transfer speed (dont seem to find any info on that because their all in RPM's and i have no clue how it works).

For upgrades, anyone have any suggestions for SSD brands and or types? I can only use 2.5 SATA SSD's not more (old build with Maximus 4 Extreme Z mobo).

I think the Samsung EVO series are really good.

The thing about HDDs is that it's not the transfer speed that is slow, but the latency when moving the head.  This means if data is spread out on different regions on the disk platter, it takes significantly longer time to move and read the various areas, as opposed to NAND Flash whose latency is only held back by the micro controller (as well as other factors).

the 1tb black is about 150mB/s with about 200 iops. ALso if you want a faster hdd, get a bigger one. Id get a 3-4 tb drive over a wd black and they will be faster too.

A normal sata ssd is about 500mB/s with about 60000 iops.

Id probably get a mx500 for a normal sata ssd.

@xentropa Thanks for the reply. Yes, i was planning for a Samsung EVO series SSD, but its a little bit pricey in my area and there are literally no Samsung vendors in my area (Taiwan). So warranty would be a major issue.

@Electronics Wizardy Thanks for your answer. That is what i was looking for. Stats. I was suggested the MX500. What do you think about it? Any issues so far? Whats the quality of it? Hope it doesn't break easily. Wishing it last for at least 7 years or so since my WD is now 7 years old and still no issues at this point other than it being slow.