Windows 10 grey market question

OllieJ_

So I'm building my first PC in a few days and just working out the last *little* detail, the OS. 

I'm sure most people here are aware of the "Paul's Hardware" video of Windows 10 for $20...

Obviously the cheapest of the codes are OEMs, which I understand and I'm fine with. But my question is what are the consequences if the code you receive is later deactivated (such as you get a volume licensing code that shouldn't really have been sold to you and it expires?) is it as simple as buying another cheap code online and reactivating windows without any re-installation? 

I'm probably going to get this home edition for £4.09 from ebay if the risks aren't that bad https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-10-Home-64-32-bit-Product-Activation-Key-INSTANT-DELIVERY/112890596130?epid=2254347653&hash=item1a48cdcb22#rwid

also, say I bought a grey market pro edition now, and in a year it was deactivated, would I need to do a clean install if I bought a home edition key from the official store at full price?

Thanks for any advice.

DISCLAIMER: I don't personally condone or encourage buying super-cheap keys. I DO have OEM key, but thats full priced and bought from actual brick and mortar store back in 2011.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:31 PM, OllieJ_ said:

Obviously the cheapest of the codes are OEMs, which I understand and I'm fine with. But my question is what are the consequences if the code you receive is later deactivated (such as you get a volume licensing code that shouldn't really have been sold to you and it expires?) 

This will depend on which service you use. eBay doesn't have any protection if you buy software and seller refuses to replace/refund faulty key. Kinguin sells extra protection with which they can intervene if seller refuses to replace/refund. G2A doesn't have listings for grey market keys. Rest of the places you'll need to read any ToS or other guides before buying.

If key later gets deactivated or blacklisted by Microsoft, you just lost activation. And thats all. OS keys don't expire. Not even volume keys. Only way they get deactivated is if MS finds out about misuse and they blacklist whole bunch.

is it as simple as buying another cheap code online and reactivating windows without any re-installation? 

Should be.

also, say I bought a grey market pro edition now, and in a year it was deactivated, would I need to do a clean install if I bought a home edition key from the official store at full price?

Yes. Windows keys aren't cross-compatible between versions. You can upgrade from Home to Pro, but for downgrade reinstall is needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv