I7-4790 on a I5-4460 Stock Cooler

_JohnB330ci

Hello, I used to have an I5-4460, paired with my GTX 980, 16GB etc, on the i5-4460 I used to use the stock cooler, I recently did a trade at work with some cash for an I7-4790, now, it had a cooler with it, however I didn't think to bring it with me, however I can get it on monday. With the I7, its running the stock cooler and when playing BF1 reached a temp of 100oc, is this most likely because of the cooler? I've tried reseating it twice, to no affect.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Devil's canyon are nuclear reactors.  Using the stock cooler is not a good idea.  Get an H7 if on a tight budget.

This is fine, I thought this much, Guess I'll have to put the I5 back in for now, I'll grab the other cooler, and if the temps are still bad I'll ordered a AiO

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

D15 might be cheaper than a beefy AIO, but the h7 is one of the better budget coolers.  You might be able to get an h105 for around 100, your currency, since everyone is trying to get rid of them.

The D15 is £78, and I get get a Corsair H80i V2 120mm for £77.99, so would I most likely be better of with that? And it looks cooler imo :)

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The H80i isn't as good as the D15.  The D15 is closer to h100i performance.  But, up to you from there.

I'll probably go with the H80i, it should be sufficient enough, and there isn't a lot of room in my case, so having the heatsink up higher might help me a little

On 4/22/2018 at 4:36 PM, valdyrgramr said:

Devil's canyon/Haswell refresh are nuclear reactors.  Using the stock cooler is not a good idea.  Get an H7 if on a tight budget.

They are still cooler than Kaby and Coffee Lake :)

On 4/22/2018 at 4:41 PM, SherifsDog22 said:

The D15 is £78, and I get get a Corsair H80i V2 120mm for £77.99, so would I most likely be better of with that? And it looks cooler imo :)

Those are bit overkill for non-K  CPU. Have you tried of setting manual voltage yet?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

True, but even Intel doesn't suggest using the stock cooler on the 4790, non-k.  xD The other 2 used some pretty janky paste under the lid, iirc.  As for their voltage wouldn't that require a z97 mobo or can you lower it on non-OC boards?

AFAIK only multiplier is locked. You can raise base clock and adjust voltage (mainly to give option for undervolting).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/22/2018 at 6:41 AM, SherifsDog22 said:

Either would be overkill. They trade blows in performance depending on your case airflow but the NH-D15 is generally better as well as quieter. You can easily keep temps in check with a cheaper cooler like the PR Slim: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.