I am planning my first build. Need Opinions

The i7-8700K is overkill for a GTX 1060. You could save a few bucks and go for a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600X and be totally fine. They also come with coolers, so you can save cash there as well. If you'd prefer to stick to Intel platforms for game optimization reasons (many games still aren't as friendly to Ryzen, unfortunately), the i5-8400 would do nicely and also comes with its own cooler. Whichever you go with, you'd easily saturate a GTX 1060.

Red team would give you more threads, but the Blue team would give you higher framerates in single-threaded games. Before someone says "but it's only a 1060 tho," there are games out there such as esports titles that don't really care about your GPU as much as your CPU, such as Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm, CS:GO, etc. In those cases, you'd see a bump going to Intel because of optimization + IPC.

Anyway, just seems like an 8700K is overkill for a GTX 1060 unless you have some other purpose for it. Might even be able to bump up to a GTX 1070 with the cash you save from cutting the CPU back a bit.

I would also cut the case to something that's cheaper and comes with included fans so you don't have to buy an extra. I feel like you should be able to get a GTX 1070 in there.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Actually I would like to keep the i7 8700K, because I would like my system to last for 2-3 years at the least. I am willing to go for an upgrade on the GPU, either AMD or Nvidia. Any recommendations on that?

5 minutes ago, mega6382 said:

Actually I would like to keep the i7 8700K, because I would like my system to last for 2-3 years at the least. I am willing to go for an upgrade on the GPU, either AMD or Nvidia. Any recommendations on that?

would you be willing to wait until spetember? because im pretty sre nvidia launches new cards then which drive down the cost of pascal cards allowing you to even get a 1070.

edit: im not so sure about amd tho

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

2 hours ago, mega6382 said:

Honestly, if you want gaming and maximum bang for buck:

8700k is overkill  

A $90 cooler is overkill

16 GB RAM is overkill.

650w is overkill

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 hour ago, minervx said:

Honestly, if you want gaming and maximum bang for buck:

8700k is overkill  

A $90 cooler is overkill

16 GB RAM is overkill.

650w is overkill

Then what would you recommend?

3 hours ago, mega6382 said:

what's your budget for everything? do you really need the blu-ray drive?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

what's your budget for everything? do you really need the blu-ray drive?

The budget is around $1500-$1700. The optical drive is for just-in-case purpose. And anyways its not too expensive to matter.

1 minute ago, mega6382 said:

The budget is around $1500-$1700. The optical drive is for just-in-case purpose. And anyways its not too expensive to matter.

ok, which country are you in?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

ok, which country are you in?

I am in Paksitan. Where hot weather is a big problem, and that is why I need that case, that cpu cooler and the extra fans.

4 hours ago, mega6382 said:

U SHOULD BUILD SOMETHING BALANCED LIKE THIS...

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

3 hours ago, vexicus365 said:

Thanks for the list. I can see you have manged to direct the cost toward the graphics card. That is quite cool. Because I would like to have a GTX 1080 card. I will definitely be looking into this.

Thanks for going with Seagate. We're around if you have any questions on the hard drive.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Thanks for going with Seagate. We're around if you have any questions on the hard drive.

Thanks for the offer, and I kind of do have a question. At first I was planning on getting Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB ST4000DM005. But I am unsure on its RPM. Because on some places it is shown to be 5900 and at other places its 7200. So, I want to know for sure which is it? Because I only want it if it is 7200 RPM.

42 minutes ago, mega6382 said:

Thanks for the offer, and I kind of do have a question. At first I was planning on getting Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB ST4000DM005. But I am unsure on its RPM. Because on some places it is shown to be 5900 and at other places its 7200. So, I want to know for sure which is it? Because I only want it if it is 7200 RPM.

With the standard 3.5" BarraCuda, capacities 1-3TB are 7200 RPM, while 4TB and up are 5400.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:34 AM, mega6382 said:

Dude the hardware is way ahead of the software these days.  The 8600k/2600 will be great for 5+ years at this rate.  Games are WAY more GPU intensive than CPU intensive.  Get the 2TB Barracuda, its like 55 dollars and it very fast (I actually don't store any of games on my SSD as my hard drive loads them fast enough).  I have about 70 games in my steam library and I still have plenty of space to spare. This PSU is also a way better value for your build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.