DESKTOP VS LAPTOP

In 2018 when laptop parts are becoming more and more performance oriented as compared to its desktop counterpart , which is better?

also please mention reliability.

I personally would prefer a desktop for everything. I really would. The only real reason I still have my laptop is to run some other things I don't want on my desktop(yet) such as Skype, Discord, etc. That, and mobility. Laptops are generally more portable.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Desktop parts are still quite a bit better than laptop components, not to mention cheaper and easier to upgrade.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I personally would prefer a desktop for everything. I really would. The only real reason I still have my laptop is to run some other things I don't want on my desktop(yet) such as Skype, Discord, etc. That, and mobility. Laptops are generally more portable.

@Crunchy Dragon But they say the laptop parts are in par with the performance with desktop these days,is it really true?

8 minutes ago, Adithyadusty47 said:

@Crunchy Dragon But they say the laptop parts are in par with the performance with desktop these days,is it really true?

It's not really unless you look towards very top of the line. And even so, thermals aren't there much. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

1 minute ago, DarkEnergy said:

It's not. 

@DarkEnergy One of my friend is planning to buy a high end video editing pc but some people are recommending iMac and mackbook pro,but i recommended Custom build rig, but some are saying that the  macbook and laptop these days are exactly the same in terms of performance.Any suggestions?

Having a good desk setup is really nice especially for gaming. This being the case makes the desktop very appealing as you can hook up monitors keyboards and mice into it without it being awkward. You try and do the same with a laptop and it just feels weird especially when you can't just have it sit on the floor nicely like you can with a desktop. One of the biggest benefits of a desktop though is cooling. Even right now with desktop class hardware in laptops they still underperform because of thermal throttling. All in all I would say having a gaming laptop is nice for gaming on the go but when I want to do some serious gaming I want to be at my desk with my desktop. 

7 minutes ago, Adithyadusty47 said:

@DarkEnergy One of my friend is planning to buy a high end video editing pc but some people are recommending iMac and mackbook pro,but i recommended Custom build rig, but some are saying that the  macbook and laptop these days are exactly the same in terms of performance.Any suggestions?

Honestly when I hear people say things like that I just don't even try reasoning with them. They don't have anywhere near the same performance. There might be some use cases where it doensnt matter but video editing is not one of them. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly when I hear people say things like that I just don't even try reasoning with them. They don't have anywhere near the same performance. There might be some use cases where it doensnt matter but video editing is not one of them. 

Unless Final Cut Pro is an option, then it's far faster.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

me too.They just don't understand thermal throttling.I have been working in windows enviroment for a long time.But im not aware of imac. Why do most people use Macs for editing?

outside of the insane pricing occurring because of the market right now it is generally far CHEAPER to build a desktop then buy a laptop with matching specs, you can also upgrade things like video cards and power supplies which can't be done on laptops, you also can get far better cooling resulting in better performance from a desktop, a laptop is nice for portability but it's nothing next to a desktop in terms of price to performance, the highend gaming laptops are so overpriced you could build a full on desktop that matches it's performance then get a cheap laptop to use for streaming video and web browsing.

Honestly, it really depends on your situation.  If you aren't stationary a lot, like at home, a laptop is better, otherwise a desktop and either a smartphone or iPad will serve you better.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

One simple question: Do you need portability? Only get laptop if you need portability.

Desktop is easier to upgrade, easier for maintenance and better thermals (in most cases). They usually last longer too while only a few laptops have good reliability (also depends on luck, how you handle it etc). Laptops with KBL-R and CFL-H CPU also need tweaking in order to perform the best. Value wise they are about the same due to RAM and GPU prices hike. Performance wise, laptops can compete with desktops but it depends on specs (max you can go in a laptop is 8700K+1080 SLI).

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 hours ago, Adithyadusty47 said:

me too.They just don't understand thermal throttling.I have been working in windows enviroment for a long time.But im not aware of imac. Why do most people use Macs for editing?

It is mostly for Final Cut but if you want the best performance per dollar go with a windows laptop or a custom pc

On 22/04/2018 at 11:09 AM, Adithyadusty47 said:

Final cut pro on a base iMac (yes i5 7500) or even a MBP 15 will render video faster than any desktop with 8700k(in premier). I'm not even kidding. FCPX is literally 2.5-4x faster for h.264 rendering format when compared to premier pro. Even a base macbook with mobile chip can edit 4k video fine.

That's why a lot of vloggers use FCPX to edit their video because they have to put out content every single day and speed/ ease of use are everything.