Cannot overclock I7 8700k

Hey guys,

I am really desperate to find out why I cannot overclock my CPU.

This is my 2nd PC build by I have never overclocked before.

The specs that should matter:

• I7 8700k
  • Asus ROG Strix GTX1080 Advanced
  • G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200
  • Corsair H150i PRO
  • Samsung 960evo
  • Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste
  • Be Quiet 600W
  • Asus ROG Strix Z370-F
  • Be Quiet pure base 600 TG

What I have tried so far:

• I have tried multple OC profiles that I copied from YT videos. 4.7GHz-5.0GHz - all failed (after running aida64/cinebench)
  • Using that factory OC feature from the MB - its fails(after running aida64/cinebench)
  • I checked for plastics on the cpu cooler and changed the thermal paste

I get 30-33°C at idle und 50-53°C when gaming light games.

I have my 360mm Corsair H150i PRO as intake in the front. 1x120mm exhaust in the back. 2x140mm exhaust up top. All exhaust fans are running at the mid settings of the fan controller of my Pure Base 600 case.

Anybody got an idea?

Start by overclocking slowly in .25 or .50Ghz increments instead of jumping straight to the higher clocks. This will give you more of an idea of the limits of your CPU.

Remember, not every 8700K is capable of reaching 5Ghz.

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Edited by Crunchy Dragon

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I already did 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and 5.0. Should I go even lower? Thats very weird.

1 minute ago, StvXCI said:

I already did 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and 5.0. Should I go even lower? Thats very weird.

We need CPU vCore (voltage) also, maybe your voltage is too low.

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

Jumping into high profiles other people achieved isn't something that would commonly work stably. Technically every CPU is different at the microscopic level. You have to tune your CPU to fit what it needs. If all you're doing is increasing the multiplier then it's likely you're having one of two issues. Either your CPU simply isn't capable of the clock speed, or your CPU needs more voltage.

Also auto-OC utilities usually aren't great. They don't push the chip as high as it could go and they're usually too generous with the voltage. Not to mention they sometimes get the base clock involved which pushes everything else out of wack when all you're after is the CPU.

Manual OC = best, but that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, ChatDaw said:

We need CPU vCore (voltage) also, maybe your voltage is too low.

1.35v

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Jumping into high profiles other people achieved isn't something that would commonly work stably. Technically every CPU is different at the microscopic level. You have to tune your CPU to fit what it needs. If all you're doing is increasing the multiplier then it's likely you're having one of two issues. Either your CPU simply isn't capable of the clock speed, or your CPU needs more voltage.

Also auto-OC utilities usually aren't great. They don't push the chip as high as it could go and they're usually too generous with the voltage. Not to mention they sometimes get the base clock involved which pushes everything else out of wack when all you're after is the CPU.

Manual OC = best, but that's just my opinion.

You consider 4.7 high? So what now? start over again and start with 4.5?

So PSU and the other stuff should be ok? I just need to tweak more in the BIOS?

Just run the built in oc feature of your mainboard to see whats even possible with your chip, Asus software usually does an ok job to begin with. Then take the result and fine-tune the BIOS accordingly.

2 minutes ago, StvXCI said:

You consider 4.7 high? So what now? start over again and start with 4.5?

According to Intel Ark the 8700K turbo boosts up to 4.7GHz if you haven't applied a custom OC. So, I'd figure out what Core voltage it boosts to and add either 0.025V or 0.05V and push it to 4.8GHz. If it's stable 4.9GHz. If it's stable 5.0GHz. If not boost it another 0.025V until it is stable but keep an eye on your CPU temps. I'd keep it under 80°C (my preference).

2 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Just run the built in oc feature of your mainboard to see whats even possible with your chip, Asus software usually does an ok job to begin with. Then take the result and fine-tune the BIOS accordingly.

Those dont even boot :))

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

According to Intel Ark the 8700K turbo boosts up to 4.7GHz if you haven't applied a custom OC. So, I'd figure out what Core voltage it boosts to and add either 0.025V or 0.05V and push it to 4.8GHz. If it's stable 4.9GHz. If it's stable 5.0GHz. If not boost it another 0.025V until it is stable but keep an eye on your CPU temps. I'd keep it under 80°C (my preference).

Ill give it a try to go a bit higher with the voltage.

34 minutes ago, StvXCI said:
  • I have tried multple OC profiles that I copied from YT videos. 4.7GHz-5.0GHz - all failed (after running aida64/cinebench)
  • Using that factory OC feature from the MB - its fails(after running aida64/cinebench)

Thats very unfortunate. Just do some more fine-tuning, but keep in mind that there is absolutely no guarantee what so ever that your chip will overclock even 100 mhz without crashing. The only thing Intel guarantees on their K-series cpus is an open multiplier and the theoretical possibility of overclocking. They don't guarantee results, your particular example might just be a bad one...

Just now, black0utm1rage said:

Thats very unfortunate, you might have lost the silicon lottery. Just do some more fine-tuning, but keep in mind that there is absolutely no guarantee what so ever that your chip will overclock even 100 mhz without crashing. The only thing Intel guarantees on their K-series cpus is an open multiplier and the theoretical possibility of overclocking. They don't guarantee results, your particular example might just be a bad one...

I hope not, but I think thats the truth.

Since you are also in Germany, should I consider selling my chip and get another one?

6 minutes ago, StvXCI said:

Since you are also in Germany, should I consider selling my chip and get another one?

Might as well try, if you can find a replacement for a decent price...

But I wouldn't just give up on the 8700k yet. Trust me, I know the frustration. If your fed up with it, just try again tomorrow. Maybe try to add very, very small incremental voltage increases until you get a stable result.

6 minutes ago, StvXCI said:

I hope not, but I think thats the truth.

I feel with you... This happened to me with the first ever cpu I bought, a 2500k back in the day. It just wouldn't go over 3.8 GHz no matter what I tried.