Raid 6 nas running on gaming tower

Hi, I know this question has been asked a lot but I didn't see anyone doing this the way I intend to. So I plan on doing an upgrade of my gaming rig soon that will involve a new chassis (define r6 is what I am looking to get) and with that I was going to run a storage server using hyper-v (don't want to use unraid for this because I like having the hotplugging ease for usb devices considering I use them a lot and a lot of different ones too. Also plan on running storage server in windows environment since license isn't an issue for me and I need it for some application support.) I was wondering what you would recommend as a raid card for this application all drives will be sata and the define r6 has no hotswap backplane nor does it have enough 5 1/4 bays to add one to the case. Also saw people recommend using HBA cards with software raid but don't think that will work considering I am going to run the storage server in a windows environment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pale

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

Why do you need vms?

Just use storage spaces or a raid card and run it in windows 10 and share it over the network.

Id personally just use storage spaces here. That way you can easily expand. You can also you snapRaid + drivepool for the same easy expansion.

Otherwise Id go something like a used h700, or a lsi 9361 8i for a new card. you want one with a battery backup.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you need vms?

Just use storage spaces or a raid card and run it in windows 10 and share it over the network.

Id personally just use storage spaces here. That way you can easily expand. You can also you snapRaid + drivepool for the same easy expansion.

Otherwise Id go something like a used h700, or a lsi 9361 8i for a new card. you want one with a battery backup.

Mostly using vm out of habit for when I set up client servers. It just makes it easier when there is an issue with the storage to be able to allocate whatever resources I need to it as well as make it so that anything connecting to the vm will be locked away from the rest of my system. (dual nics) And for storage spaces Ive never actually used it before so I will look into that and snapriad, But there is definitely some simplicity to using hardware raid instead of software. I will look into the options but looking at the motherboard specs out there for sata ports it looks like I will probably need an add-in card anyways. Thanks for the quick reply and Ill look into those options as well as the cards. Oh I did forget to mentions that my raid array will be 6 drives that would be nice to expand to 8 or 10 even if any of these cards have that possability but I will definitely make sure they have a battery backup.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event: