8700K Stuttering in Games - One Solution

So I got an 8700K and a Z370 Gaming 5 mobo and all of a sudden my games started to stutter, even without any overclocking. 

Long story short, after a LOT of testing, I found out that the mobo was not supplying enough voltage to the chip when running factory settings. By default, the board varies the voltage a lot based on usage, and for some reason that affects games.

SOLUTION: Disable every possible setting in the BIOS that involves CPU enhancement, like enery efficient turbo, voltage optimization, Intel Speed Shift, etc. 

An even better solution is to disable the settings above AND set a fixed voltage. 

Regardless of clock speed, having steady and consistent power delivery is crucial to avoid stuttering in games. This worked for me even without any overclocking. After doing this, gaming is back to normal.

I hope this other people having the same issues.

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler

That's a weird issue, and an even weirder solution.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

That's a weird issue, and an even weirder solution.

Yes! 

I thought either the chip was a dud or the motherboard was faulty, and I almost RMA'd both. Turns out that there is a lot of voltage and power options in the new Gigabyte motherboards, and the factory settings are not optimal.

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler

Just now, HotDiggityDaffodil said:

Yes! 

I thought either the chip was a dud or the motherboard was faulty, and I almost RMA'd both. Turns out that there is a lot of voltage and power options in the new Gigabyte motherboards, and the factory settings are not optimal.

Aaaaand this is why I always get ASUS boards.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Believe me, I deeply regret getting this Gigabyte board. I had a Strix Z270E before this, but I figure I'd give Gigabyte a try. Big mistake. Oh well.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HotDiggityDaffodil said:

So I got an 8700K and a Z370 Gaming 5 mobo and all of a sudden my games started to stutter, even without any overclocking. 

Long story short, after a LOT of testing, I found out that the mobo was not supplying enough voltage to the chip when running factory settings. By default, the board varies the voltage a lot based on usage, and for some reason that affects games.

SOLUTION: Disable every possible setting in the BIOS that involves CPU enhancement, like enery efficient turbo, voltage optimization, Intel Speed Shift, etc. 

An even better solution is to disable the settings above AND set a fixed voltage. 

Regardless of clock speed, having steady and consistent power delivery is crucial to avoid stuttering in games. This worked for me even without any overclocking. After doing this, gaming is back to normal.

I hope this other people having the same issues.

Fixed voltage is generally the way to go if you want a stable overclock, even at stock it helps especially with the auto OC aka turbo boost cpu's use these days. I find it especially noticeable on laptops, my 7300hq was bad for it.

I have a Asus  z370-e and I do not experience this

A bios update might fix it ??

5 hours ago, MaorHaimovitz said:

I have a Asus  z370-e and I do not experience this

A bios update might fix it ??

I have the lastest bios. Asus boards are just better overall, and have better power delivery.

Spoiler

20 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Asus boards may be great but not always! Had my GA-Z77-D3H for 6 years now and it's still great, just because some models suck doesn't mean they all do.

On 4/16/2018 at 5:09 PM, HotDiggityDaffodil said:

I have the lastest bios. Asus boards are just better overall, and have better power delivery.

Not always it depends on what Gigabyte motherboard you choose. I have used  Gigabyte board so much times and they were all great. I even remember having usually a better experience with gigabyte boards over Asus. But it all depends on what specific board you choose, Gigabyte has some really good boards and some not so good boards and so does asus and all of the other brands.  

I  dont  much about how the power delivery of a motherboard works but a z370 Gigabyte LN2 board  has really good power delivery based on what Buildzoid thinks