Compact description for intel processors

I was thinking about the Intel naming scheme and told myself that there should be a better way to get a more informative name for every Intel CPU.
I opened the notes app on my phone (memo) to write down some ideas and concepts.

After 15 to 30 minutes of brainstorming, I came up with the following idea:

[generation]-[Number of cores][Hyperthreading][unlocked][platform][basefrequency][maxturbofrequency]

e.g. i7-7700k = 7/4HUD4.2-4.5

The Generation and Number of cores are separated to keep it sustainable after 82 generations. (I know that it's ridiculous.)

After looking at this for 5 minutes I decided to make an application that does it for you.

prompt.get(['generation', 'corecount', 'hyperthreading', 'unlocked', 'platform', 'basefrequency', 'maxturbofrequency'], function (err, result) {
    var generation = result.generation;
    var corecount = result.corecount;
    if (result.hyperthreading.toLowerCase() == 'y') {
        var hyperthreading = 'H';
    } else if (result.hyperthreading.toLowerCase() == 'n') {
        var hyperthreading = '';
    } else {
        var hyperthreading = '*';
    };

if (result.unlocked.toLowerCase() == 'y') {
        var unlocked = 'U';
    } else if (result.unlocked.toLowerCase() == 'n') {
        var unlocked = '';
    } else {
        var unlocked = '*';
    };

if (result.platform.toLowerCase() == 'desktop') {
        var platform = 'D';
    } else if (result.platform.toLowerCase() == 'mobile') {
        var platform = 'M';
    } else if (result.platform.toLowerCase() == 'embedded') {
        var platform ='E'
    } else {
        var platform = '*';
    };

var basefrequency = result.basefrequency;
    var maxturbofrequency = result.maxturbofrequency;
    console.log(`${generation}/${corecount}${hyperthreading}${unlocked}${platform}${basefrequency}-${maxturbofrequency}`);
    console.log(`If you see any * then double check your inputs.`);

while (1 == 1) {

}

});

The executables are attached to the post.

Though it's not perfect, it's a better way to name a Cpu if you want to know more about it by just looking at the name.

I'm planning on adding more features to differentiate the different classes etc. 

Cheers,

Dylan

app-macos.rar

app-win.rar

Edited by HeavyBlurrySoul

18 minutes ago, HeavyBlurrySoul said:

i7-7700k = 7-4HUD4.2

i3-4130   = 4-HD3.4

I doubt my 70 year old granpap can understand that

It's a lot harder then telling hime to buy the one with the bigger numbers

My life

The naming scheme atm needs to be able to tell layman buyers - such as most people - the rough performance of their potential purchase. i3, i5 and i7 have become synonymous with "cheap/office", "performance", and "high end", with i9 being so new as to not really have ingrained in the mindset of most people yet, but it's a logical step "above" the level of an i7.

Something like CPU-Z which gives incredible detail on basically every aspect of cpu specification would likely be a better fit for people who need to know a lot more about their purchase. A system like the one your program outputs would give marginally more information than the current codenames for people who need it (though not a lot in the grand scheme of things), but would confuse the hell out of most people who just need to now a basic "Product A vs Product B" comparison. 

On a tangential sidenote, a naming scheme where you need to look up the definition for each part of the scheme to be able to compare them is probably worse than just being able to read the specs individually, especially if you have to go and look it up anyway.

Still, stick with it. Some other features that may need to be factored include memory support (capacity/speed), version/specs of iGPU, and total QPI/PCIE links supported.

Rocking a 7-4HUD4.2 doesn't roll as good of the tongue as having a 7700k though :P marketability is important as well. Besides, the core counts are relatively simple already where i3, i5 and i7 were(are) dual (quad) core, quad (hexa) core no HT, quad (hexa) core with HT. The mobile section is also split into T and U, for example, for "low" and "ultra low" power. So you'd need to add that as well.

For more information you'd check the product page or Ark.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

99 Percent of people really only care about i3, i5 or i7. (if that)

Anyone who's really into tech, like people here on the forum have no problem understanding which CPU is which I think. 

Intel's naming scheme isn't amazing, but more elegant than gibberish like 7-4HUD4.2. Props for writing an app though!

(and to be honest, the chipset naming scheme is far more confusing to me)

Does you mum know you're here?

I wouldn't use the term baseclock. "default/factory clock" would be much, much better.

Baseclock is something else entirely.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I wouldn't use the term baseclock. "default/factory clock" would be much, much better.

Baseclock is something else entirely.

Intel call it "Processor Base Frequency" so it isn't far off.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The point of this is to tell more about the cpu and not as a replacement to the intel names, and yes i7-7700k sounds way better than 7-4HUD4.2.
It's more of a summary then a convential name, but what does i7-7700k tell you, that you can overclock it.

@DildorTheDecent

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, HeavyBlurrySoul said:

The point of this is to tell more about the cpu and not as a replacement to the intel names, and yes i7-7700k sounds way better than 7-4HUD4.2.
It's more of a summary then a convential name, but what does i7-7700k tell you, that you can overclock it.

i7 = high end consumer CPU

7 = 7th gen

700 = marketing where big number is good

k = unlocked

So your idea is basically to have a compact descriptor? Why not turbo clock too? I think it should be included, if not the full turbo table.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, porina said:

3 minutes ago, HeavyBlurrySoul said:

Base frequency and baseclock are not the same.

Baseclock is bus speed (100MHz, stock). Base frequency is the operating speed of the processor. In the case of the 8700K: 100 * 37 = 3700MHz. That's the BCLK * core ratio = base frequency.

image.png.d18df5a62b7db866af2b17dae417acfb.png Too many noobs are going to end up entering the wrong thing because "the BIOS says different"

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Baseclock is bus speed (100MHz, stock). Base frequency is the operating speed of the processor. In the case of the 8700K: 100 * 37 = 3700MHz. That's the BCLK * core ratio = base frequency.

image.png.d18df5a62b7db866af2b17dae417acfb.png Too many noobs are going to end up entering the wrong thing because "the BIOS says different"

I realized that and I already changed it, thanks for the remark.

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

You are correct, the best kind of correct - is what you might hear if you lived in Futurama's world.

In common usage, if I were to say the base clock of a random CPU was say 3.6 GHz, you'd know what I mean. More importantly, it isn't BCLK. Outside of some overclockers, does anyone even care about BCLK?

1 hour ago, porina said:

You are correct, the best kind of correct - is what you might hear if you lived in Futurama's world.

In common usage, if I were to say the base clock of a random CPU was say 3.6 GHz, you'd know what I mean. More importantly, it isn't BCLK. Outside of some overclockers, does anyone even care about BCLK?

What if BCLK doesn't mean "base clock" but "bus clock"? Since historically the CPU frequency was based on the FSB speed times a multiplier.

Or is there documentation that actually says it's called "base clock"?

I really have to disagree here. Adding technical jargon to the SKU without context isn't going to help anyone except enthusiasts, and enthusiasts are already smart enough to look up specs.

EDIT: Your scheme also gives exactly zero information for compatible platforms, like for example the socket. 5960X is Haswell-E, technically part of 4th gen but is grouped with 5th gen due to release dates. That and it's an entirely different socket from the mainstream part of both generations.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz