How crazy would it be if someone created a usb to ddr2/ddr3/ddr4 adapter?

i would be extremely interested to find out the performance, even though i don't think it's possible

It would be very crazy as there is no practical use that I can think of.  The RAM and the USB interface cancel out any benefits the other have.  RAM is designed to be very fast but more importantly low latency, and USB is not optimized for this.  Also anything you store to the RAM would of course be erased when power is lost, so there wouldn't really be any point.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It would be very crazy as there is no practical use that I can think of.  The RAM and the USB interface cancel out any benefits the other have.

I agree, but a cheap placeholder for broken memory if you don't have any?, possibly install a really old version of ubuntu?

2 minutes ago, AkiraLee said:

i would be extremely interested to find out the performance, even though i don't think it's possible

honestly, it would be like paging to a USB flash drive

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

Just now, AkiraLee said:

I agree, but a cheap placeholder for broken memory if you don't have any?, possibly install a really old version of ubuntu?

I don't know what you mean

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Maybe a PCB with old DDR2 slots (with a battery backup and refresh chip) that you can use as an external RAM disk.

Just now, ZcanKal said:

Maybe a PCB with old DDR2 slots (with a battery backup and refresh chip) that you can use as an external RAM disk.

External ssd would be pretty much the same.

ThinkPad masterrace

Me thinkpads:

X220, R30, T24, TransNote

Why would you put DRAM through the slow USB interface...? And what for? You'd be better off using a USB SSD instead, even if it can't cache as quickly as RAM.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't know what you mean

I mean as in, if you had memory that failed, and if the adaptor was cheap to buy, it could be an cheap and easy placeholder for the time

1 minute ago, gnomik said:

that would work also

Just now, gnomik said:

I meant for people like me who (for some reason) keep getting stuck with a ton of DDR2.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Why would you put DRAM through the slow USB interface...? And what for? You'd be better off using a USB SSD instead, even if it can't cache as quickly as RAM.

i agree

Just now, AkiraLee said:

I mean as in, if you had memory that failed, and if the adaptor was cheap to buy, it could be an cheap and easy placeholder for the time

So basically just a holder for the dead memory?  Hm, I would just put it on the table, or in the garbage rather than into a USB device :P

so...
extrremly expensive memory that doesn't keep data when it looses power
capped at the speed of usb3.
or lower if you're using ddr2 n stuff.

why ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, AkiraLee said:

A lot of ifs. With better solutions. A more useful device would be, for example ddr4 to ddr2.

ThinkPad masterrace

Me thinkpads:

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

so...

why ?

This is the land of the hypothetical.

Just now, givingtnt said:

so...

why ?

just in case if your current memory breaks down

Just now, gnomik said:

A lot of ifs. With better solutions. A more useful device would be, for example ddr4 to ddr2.

or ddr3 to ddr4, because of... you know... the prices.

Just now, gnomik said:

i agree with that also, it was a crazy idea to begin with

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

or ddr3 to ddr4, because of... you know... the prices.

Yeah, adapter that allows you to plug in older memory in newer systems. I dont know if thats possible though.

ThinkPad masterrace

Me thinkpads:

10 minutes ago, AkiraLee said:

just in case if your current memory breaks down

To be perfectly honest,

if your current memory fails, you're screwed. You're gonna have to go out and buy some more.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

To be perfectly honest,

if your current memory fails, you're screwed. You're gonna have to go out and buy some more.

i know, it was just a crazy idea lol

DDR2 to DDR3 or DDR4 would be nice. I have a shit ton of old DDR2 that I don't use. USB RAM is impossible and even if it was possible, it would be highly impractical.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

1 minute ago, xriqn said:

DDR2 to DDR3 or DDR4 would be nice. I have a shit ton of old DDR2 that I don't use. USB RAM is impossible and even if it was possible, it would be highly impractical.

i agree was just a crazy idea @.@

9 minutes ago, xriqn said:

Even PCIe 3.0 wouldn't be able to keep up with RAM speeds.