Windows + Existing Nvme + Install - Please HELP!

rasesh

Hey guys, recently had to replace my motherboard, ram, and cpu.

I'm aware of the fact that I need a new windows 10 key due to motherboard replacement but my OS is on my Nvme drive and I'm wondering what the steps would be to install windows again because:

1) Aren't the files already existing on my the nvme from first windows 10 install?

2) When installing windows 10 again will it take twice the space due to it making new replicated folder's/files again?

3) I also got many files on my the nvme that I don't want to lose so what's the best way to go about this?

4) How does one create a windows 10 pro bootable usb drive using a Mac?

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, rasesh said:

Hey guys, recently had to replace my motherboard, ram, and cpu.

I'm aware of the fact that I need a new windows 10 key due to motherboard replacement but my OS is on my Nvme drive and I'm wondering what the steps would be to install windows again because:

1) Aren't the files already existing on my the nvme from first windows 10 install?

2) When installing windows 10 again will it take twice the space due to it making new replicated folder's/files again?

3) I also got many files on my the nvme that I don't want to lose so what's the best way to go about this?

4) How does one create a windows 10 pro bootable usb drive using a Mac?

Thanks. 

OS migrations often work, but sometimes they do not. I would go ahead and try. If it boots ok, than you might be able to talk Microsoft into transferring the licence over the phone, but this does not always work. 

2 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

OS migrations often work, but sometimes they do not. I would go ahead and try. If it boots ok, than you might be able to talk Microsoft into transferring the licence over the phone, but this does not always work. 

I don't mind buying a new windows 10 license, I'm just concerned about questions 1-4.

1 minute ago, rasesh said:

I don't mind buying a new windows 10 license, I'm just concerned about questions 1-4.

I wouldn't worry about those questions unless the transplant does not work.  

Just now, doomsriker said:

I wouldn't worry about those questions unless the transplant does not work.  

What do you mean exactly?

11 minutes ago, rasesh said:

What do you mean exactly?

You don't need to solve those problems if the drive ends up being plug and play with your new system. 

23 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

You don't need to solve those problems if the drive ends up being plug and play with your new system. 

That's a possibility?

The drive has never changed, it's the same.  I changed the mobo, cpu, and ram.

1 minute ago, rasesh said:

That's a possibility?

The drive has never changed, it's the same.  I changed the mobo, cpu, and ram.

Yes, id say it works at least 3/5 times if not more often. The LTT team use the same boot drives across devices regularly. On the wan show Linus once talked about his frustration with windows deactivating itself after hardware changes and the time he wasted trying to work this out with Microsoft time and time again. Linus ended up buying a full book of OEM keys, but as you can see by the water mark in many of their videos, they often leave windows un- activated anyways. 

15 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Yes, id say it works at least 3/5 times if not more often. The LTT team use the same boot drives across devices regularly. On the wan show Linus once talked about his frustration with windows deactivating itself after hardware changes and the time he wasted trying to work this out with Microsoft time and time again. Linus ended up buying a full book of OEM keys, but as you can see by the water mark in many of their videos, they often leave windows un- activated anyways. 

Hopefully it works.  I have Microsoft office 2016 and everything installed on my boot drive + a lot of information on it.

iI's a 960 evo so don't know how I could even remove that data if the above didn't work before doing a clean install.