Should I get the gtx 1060 6gb or an actual monitor first?

Zev_7
Go to solution Solved by Blancaster,

Get a new monitor first. Currently there's no benefit to getting a new GPU since I guess your monitor is bottle necking your whole experience. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that the 1060 3gb is already way past the 720p at whatever refresh rate the monitor is at. So upgrading the GPU wouldn't improve the overall gaming experience. 

I have a 720p TV atm with a 1060 3gb,

I've asked this before if I should get the 6gb version which a lot of people were suggesting I did but I dont have a 1080p monitor yet so thats the dilemma. I have enough right now enough to get the STRIX 1060 6GB but not enough for a 1080p monitor. There's a sale going on for a monitor that's $81 and it ends Friday. Currently the 1060's are overpriced, if I had bought it for MSRP it would be no problem to afford both. 

Get your monitor and wait for GPU's to go back to normal mate.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Get your monitor and wait for GPU's to go back to normal mate.

That would require me to return my gtx 1060 3gb that has Samsung memory ?

Even if you have to return the GPU, go for the monitor. Nobody should ever have to make their eyes suffer through a 720p TV xD  Just wait for the prices to lower/the next generation of GPUs to be released.

Hello! It's me just passing through :) 

1 minute ago, Zeta_191 said:

I mean get the $81 monitor but not a new GPU

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

8 minutes ago, Zeta_191 said:

No it wouldn't but prices are returning to normal so it's your choice. You can sell the card now and then get a 1060 for near MSRP from places like Nvidia and EVGA.

Get a new monitor first. Currently there's no benefit to getting a new GPU since I guess your monitor is bottle necking your whole experience. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that the 1060 3gb is already way past the 720p at whatever refresh rate the monitor is at. So upgrading the GPU wouldn't improve the overall gaming experience. 

8 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

No it wouldn't but prices are returning to normal so it's your choice. You can sell the card now and then get a 1060 for near MSRP from places like Nvidia and EVGA.

It would though because I only have $65 right now, I would be getting back $281 if I returned the card. Which would leave me with $259, which isn't enough to get back the graphics card less I start saving up again. 

I mean I guess I could wait but I'm gonna be stuck with my old GTX 1050 then for awhile longer + girlfriends birthday is coming up so that's -$20 for a game. 

get a 24 inch ips monitor (1080 ofc) thats around 130-150 euros / 100$ .

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

10 minutes ago, Zeta_191 said:

It would though because I only have $65 right now, I would be getting back $281 if I returned the card. Which would leave me with $259, which isn't enough to get back the graphics card less I start saving up again. 

I mean I guess I could wait but I'm gonna be stuck with my old GTX 1050 then for awhile longer + girlfriends birthday is coming up so that's -$20 for a game. 

You'd need another $40, which isn't too bad, as you can pick up a 1060 6Gb for $300. But I would agree about getting a monitor first. You can go for a cheap, TN 1080p panel now and then get a decent IPS/VA panel later on, or even a 4k one at some point. You can get a 27" IPS/VA 4k one for $200 including shipping. Though I wouldn't recommend that for gaming necessarily.

9 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

You'd need another $40, which isn't too bad, as you can pick up a 1060 6Gb for $300. But I would agree about getting a monitor first. You can go for a cheap, TN 1080p panel now and then get a decent IPS/VA panel later on, or even a 4k one at some point. You can get a 27" IPS/VA 4k one for $200 including shipping. Though I wouldn't recommend that for gaming necessarily.

I'm good with small monitors, ultrawides and close to 30 inch screens are way too big. If that's what you meant by it being not suitable for gaming for it being too big.

1 minute ago, Zeta_191 said:

I'm good with small monitors, ultrawides and close to 30 inch screens are way too big. If that's what you meant by it being not suitable for gaming for it being too big.

27" is the sweet spot for gaming and not too big at all. I meant that the 4k panel isn't so good for gaming as it really requires a 1070 at the very least and doesn't have as high refresh rates.