i7 8700k @ 5ghz temps & temp spikes

Hi all,

Straight into overclocking with this chip and I've managed to get mine at 5ghz at 1.280v, still need to do some testing to make sure but no crashes on aida64, p95, cinebench, occt & unigine. I have a question about temps.

Temps are:

Load: 70 - 75c

Idle: 30c

But I have a problem, because for some reason 1 or 3 cores will spike to 95c very briefly, it spikes less than a second. The last CPU I used was a Quad Core Q9550 (yes my old PC is really old) and when I overclocked it I always had consistent stable temps on air with no spikes.

Is this normal for the 8700k? I understand its a chip known to run hot and the IHS is not soldered. I haven't delidded but I have no intention of going over 5ghz as I am more than happy with the results I have.

Are temp spikes briefly up to 95c ok?

Should I reapply thermal paste? I am using Grizzly Kryonaut I spread the paste thinly then put a blob in the middle, did I use too much?

Your temps are really good, what's the cooler? Mine gets hotter with a H110i V2. Those spikes are definitely weird, though.

2 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

Your temps are really good, what's the cooler? Mine gets hotter with a H110i V2. Those spikes are definitely weird, though.

It's the H150i PRO.

The fans run at about 700 - 900rpm and the pump is on its balanced mode. It doesn't spin up as the water temp hits about 30c. I'll have to do a longer run like 1hr+ to actually see how the cooler holds out but in reality, I am not having 100% load for a really long time.

The spikes are strange, going to do more testing, give the thermal paste some time to settle?

Yes you should reapply paste and dont tighten the cooler too much.

Had the same stuff going on with mine.. but reapplying paste and not tighten the cooler to much resolved it.

Im using Alphacool Eisbaer LT360 with kryonaut.

Now it looks like this after 1h prime95:

temps.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1 hour ago, DarkSmith2 said:

Yes you should reapply paste and dont tighten the cooler too much.

Had the same stuff going on with mine.. but reapplying paste and not tighten the cooler to much resolved it.

Im using Alphacool Eisbaer LT360 with kryonaut.

Now it looks like this after 1h prime95:

temps.jpg

I undid each screw then tightened them back and it seems to have fixed it

70c full load now and same temps as yours on idle. Must have not been seated properly, will keep checking on it and see how it goes.

27 minutes ago, maatty said:

I undid each screw then tightened them back and it seems to have fixed it

70c full load now and same temps as yours on idle. Must have not been seated properly, will keep checking on it and see how it goes.

yea i guess the socket 1151v2 is a little "sensitive". But grats that you managed to get normal temps :D

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, DarkSmith2 said:

yea i guess the socket 1151v2 is a little "sensitive". But grats that you managed to get normal temps :D

An update on this... had to up voltage to 1.29 to get OCCT Linpack stable, I bumped it to 1.3 to round it off so I think I am stable now, but you never truly know! Anyway..

Linpack spikes my temps to about 93c, Prime95 I get 70 - 80c, only Linpack loves to heat it up real hot, but I'll never be doing anything that stressful.

1 hour ago, maatty said:

An update on this... had to up voltage to 1.29 to get OCCT Linpack stable, I bumped it to 1.3 to round it off so I think I am stable now, but you never truly know! Anyway..

Linpack spikes my temps to about 93c, Prime95 I get 70 - 80c, only Linpack loves to heat it up real hot, but I'll never be doing anything that stressful.

i delidded today, temps gone below 60°C in prime95 small ffts. which is awesome.

16 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

i delidded today, temps gone below 60°C in prime95 small ffts. which is awesome.

Did you use liquid metal?

1 hour ago, maatty said:

I did and have same results as above 

few degrees hotter as I need 1.33v

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

3 hours ago, maatty said:

ofc. conductonaut between IHS and DIE, on top of the IHS kryonaut.

5 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

ofc. conductonaut between IHS and DIE, on top of the IHS kryonaut.

So I'm back on my PC now and my temps seem a little crazy again. I am at 4.9ghz on 1.318v load / 1.296v idle. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stress temps max 75c. If I use RealBench or LinX they can spike to most was 98c on a core.

I wonder if it's just Intel's paste and I need to delid or I have another issue with temps like that on that voltage. (thought delid was 1.35v+ and below would be ok).

Maybe repaste? try different paste?

1 hour ago, maatty said:

So I'm back on my PC now and my temps seem a little crazy again. I am at 4.9ghz on 1.318v load / 1.296v idle. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stress temps max 75c. If I use RealBench or LinX they can spike to most was 98c on a core.

I wonder if it's just Intel's paste and I need to delid or I have another issue with temps like that on that voltage. (thought delid was 1.35v+ and below would be ok).

Maybe repaste? try different paste?

No man 1.25 is max without delid 

and good cooler 

delid will sort ur issues 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 hour ago, Ebony Falcon said:

No man 1.25 is max without delid 

and good cooler 

delid will sort ur issues 

Guess I'll have to look into doing this then, my cpu throttles with FPU stress it hits 100c on almost all cores and Aida64 says 20% throttle that's 4.7ghz AVX (I got a 200mhz offset for AVX).

Will get a delid tool then and some liquid metal!

i dont use the avx offset function anymore, i know it can make trouble. im fine running it at 5.0GHz all the time. Ill maybe up it to 5.2GHz once ive been able to afford a full custom loop.

Most people would run my CPU with 5.2GHz regardless even on an AiO, Its primestable at 1.35v with 5.2GHz well, atleast it was, i should be able to drop the vcore a fair bit, havent tested it since delid, but i dont feel comfortable with more than 1.3v for 24/7. I mean i want it to last the next 5years+. And the better the chip, the more sensitive to voltage it becomes...

If you never reach/use LINX-like workloads on your computer it isnt reasonable to run it as a stresstest. You can seriously damage your CPU when getting in the 100°C area, thats the reason why they made it throttle or shut down at this point.

Delidding may decrease your temps by 15-25°C depending how bad your TIM was applied from Intel and how bad the IHS was glued, but on average i think its 20°C

Per 10°C less temperature you should theoretically be able to safe about 0.02-0.04v to reach stability for the same clockspeed. Ive lost 15-22°C with delidding so my CPU should actually run stable @1.32v-ish with 5.2GHz.

beforeafterTEMPS.jpg

This is before&after delid prime95 smallFFTs (1.25v)

Curious, did you spread your thermal paste before mounting? I had a bad mount with a NH-d14 because I spread the paste before hand. Try using a blob in the middle and letting the cooler spread it out if you haven't already.