Cryorig CR-H7A with i7 8700k and other questions.

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
11 minutes ago, Keelan said:

So what would you do?

Buy the non k version and stick to normal clock speeds?

Or buy the k version, also upgrade my case and get a AIO?

I'm just thinking for cost too.

Also do you think I would notice much of a difference between the overclock and the none overclock?

I mean the upgrade from the i5 3570k to the i7 8700k will show great results anyways right?

Get a non-K, use the H7, get a much cheaper motherboard.

So i'm sure you've seen these threads over and over again but I'm going to be spending a lot of money soon so I thought I would make sure about everything before I spend the cash.

Currently I'm rocking the following specs:

Geforce GTX 1080

i5 3570k @4.4GHz (Cooled using Cryorig CR-H7A)

8GB Of DDR3

The upgrade i'm planning to do is the following:

I7 8700k

16GB of DDR4 (A must because of the chipset)

GIGABYTE Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming ATX Motherboard (Again a must because of the CPU chipset)

I was wondering if you think overclocking would be possible with the Cryorig CR-H7A?

I had no problems with the i5 getting a stable 4.4GHz but I heard that the i7 8700k run very hot?

I would upgrade the CPU cooler but my case is smallish and does not support a 240mm Radiator.

The reason I ask this is because if it's not possible to overlock my CPU then it's probably worth buying the non k version of the CPU right?

I would love to know what you guys think of my situation and what you would do in my shoes.

Thank you very much.

-Keelan

I have an 8700k at stock (but all cores will go to 4.7Ghz), and it will get really hot like close to thermal throttling under sustained full loads (85-90C), the reason why your 3570k is doing well is they used solder to attach the die to the IHS back then.

If you delidded you could OC a bit, if you are not delidding you need a better air cooler or a AIO.

Edit: I am also using a Cryorig H7

Edit2: This is at 1.22v on the core as well

The H7 can't even properly hold stock clocks on my 1700X under synthetic load. Definitely not a good idea for an 8700K.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The H7 can't even properly hold stock clocks on my 1700X under synthetic load. Definitely not a good idea for an 8700K.

So what would you do?

Also do you think I would notice much of a difference between the overclock and the none overclock?

I mean the upgrade from the i5 3570k to the i7 8700k will show great results anyways right?

19 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

I have an 8700k at stock (but all cores will go to 4.7Ghz), and it will get really hot like close to thermal throttling under sustained full loads (85-90C), the reason why your 3570k is doing well is they used solder to attach the die to the IHS back then.

The 3570k uses thermal paste just like the 8700k. 

14 minutes ago, Keelan said:

Yeah, it's still a notable upgrade and oc'ing won't gain you much over the generous 4.7ghz turbo.

The H7 should be enough for stock speeds with some undervolting.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, Keelan said:

So what would you do?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yeah, it's still a notable upgrade and oc'ing won't gain you much over the generous 4.7ghz turbo.

Does the turbo enable whenever playing games?

It's not something I have to enable manually right?

Just now, Keelan said:

Does the turbo enable whenever playing games?

It's not something I have to enable manually right?

It's on by default and you don't have to do anything. The turbo kicks in whenever it's needed.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's on by default and you don't have to do anything. The turbo kicks in whenever it's needed.

Thank you very much.

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Thank you dude for the reply