Do I need iTunes to play music purchased on iTunes?

iTunes is the only distributor an album is available on, so I'd like to know whether I can delete iTunes once I own the music, or does Apple force it for music bought on there?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

haha. Its Apple. Of course. The only place you can access it as far as I know is itunes itself.

read lower comments, "Unless things have changed (which to be fair is entirely possible) this is completely untrue.  We have bought several albums from iTunes and you can then take those m4as or whatever you get and move, copy, and play them however you wish.  There is no noticeable DRM."

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

haha. Its Apple. Of course. The only place you can access it as far as I know is itunes itself.

-_-

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1 hour ago, suchamoneypit said:

Unless things have changed (which to be fair is entirely possible) this is completely untrue.  We have bought several albums from iTunes and you can then take those m4as or whatever you get and move, copy, and play them however you wish.  There is no noticeable DRM.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Unless things have changed (which to be fair is entirely possible) this is completely untrue.  We have bought several albums from iTunes and you can then take those m4as or whatever you get and move, copy, and play them however you wish.  There is no noticeable DRM.

Maybe it's changed, when I had my iphone I never saw anyway to download any of my music or play it anywhere other than itunes. Maybe its different when you're accessing it from a full computer. 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Maybe it's changed, when I had my iphone I never saw anyway to download any of my music or play it anywhere other than itunes. Maybe its different when you're accessing it from a full computer. 

>iPhone

I didn't realize that's how you had tried this.  I don't doubt you experience then in the slightest, iPhones are the most locked down thing ever created.  For the sake of clarity, I'll say that yes, we did this on a PC.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.