Part Picking Advice

TraskJ

I have some parts that I used in a previous build, which I'd like to turn into another functioning computer. Here are my already-owned parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M4HCbX 

Ryzen 5 1600, MSI B350M Mortar, 1x8 Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666, various hard drives and SSDs. At this point, I'm assuming I'll have around $500 to upgrade with. This rig will be used primarily for school work (I'm in cybersecurity, so lots of programming and probably some VMs.) with some esports and light gaming on the side. I also edit video on occasion, and would like to be able to record and/or stream at decent framerates. Essentially, it'll be a workstation that's capable of gaming. I realize I'll need to make some tradeoffs at this price point, but I am a poor college student. Now here's the really difficult part: I need all of the parts, plus a monitor and a keyboard-I already have a serviceable mouse. So, here's my current parts list+budget.  

GTX 1050: $150

Corsair CX 550M: $60

1x8 same RAM I already have: $100

HP 23" VH240a: $130

Redragon K551: $39

Coolermaster MCW-L3B3-KANN-01: $35

In total, all of this comes to just over $500. 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

New Ryzen CPU's launch 19th of April, if you can wait until then, wait.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

New Ryzen CPU's launch 19th of April, if you can wait until then, wait.

The point here is to get off the ground, then upgrade down the line. I'm not planning on upgrading anything, just purchasing parts so that I have a functioning workstation/gaming machine for now, with a decent upgrade path down the line, so waiting for Ryzen 2 won't work. 

Current Desktop:

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Just now, TraskJ said:

The point here is to get off the ground, then upgrade down the line. I'm not planning on upgrading anything, just purchasing parts so that I have a functioning workstation/gaming machine for now, with a decent upgrade path down the line, so waiting for Ryzen 2 won't work. 

But if you wait like 2 weeks you can probably get something better for your money.

If you can't wait, you can buy it, it's a decent system. But if Ryzen 2 launches and offers more performance for the same money you might regret not waiting for it. That's up to you.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

But if you wait like 2 weeks you can probably get something better for your money.

If you can't wait, you can buy it, it's a decent system. But if Ryzen 2 launches and offers more performance for the same money you might regret not waiting for it. That's up to you.

The entire reason for this post is that I already own the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and hard drives/SSDs, so if I upgrade a CPU then that's a cost added to all of the things that I need to purchase anyway. Would Ryzen 2 be a performance upgrade from my current processor? Absolutely, yes, but the CPU isn't a cost that I'll have anyway, so spending ANY money on the CPU is out of the question. 

Current Desktop:

14 minutes ago, TraskJ said:

The entire reason for this post is that I already own the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and hard drives/SSDs, so if I upgrade a CPU then that's a cost added to all of the things that I need to purchase anyway. Would Ryzen 2 be a performance upgrade from my current processor? Absolutely, yes, but the CPU isn't a cost that I'll have anyway, so spending ANY money on the CPU is out of the question. 

Ooh ok my bad, i get it now, i really need a coffee D:

Prices are decent actually, especially that HP monitor.

But i would try to get a 1050ti, yes it's more expensive i know but the performance difference is relatively quite big for what you pay extra.

you can get away with way less wattage 550W will go all the way to OC ryzen 7 + 1070 i wouldn't spend 60$ on that component.

that's my only real comment about your choice of parts, i think you might be over estimating how much ram you will need and or GPU power. and that might be something to think about after testing it especially because of the prices of those two, but there is nothing really wrong there

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

7 hours ago, samcool55 said:

<snip>

Do you think it would be worth it to drop the extra RAM in favor of a 1050ti?

6 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

<snip>

Are you recommending that I step down to a GT 1030 and not get more RAM at all? I don't have anything against going under budget (more money in the bank is never a bad thing) but I'm not sure a GT 1030 could handle recording and streaming at the same time in Overwatch and maintain 60 fps. That's the main reason I picked a 1050, and I'm not sure the 1050 is enough, either. 

Current Desktop:

2 hours ago, TraskJ said:

Noononono don't drop the ram.

When you start messing with VM's you'll realise very quickly they eat ram, a LOT.

I'm still at school and a part of my education is focused on cybersecurity, i have 16gb in my laptop and tbh it was barely enough. Whatever you do don't drop the ram or you might end up in trouble for school which is the last thing you want.

8 hours ago, TraskJ said:

Are you recommending that I step down to a GT 1030 and not get more RAM at all? I don't have anything against going under budget (more money in the bank is never a bad thing) but I'm not sure a GT 1030 could handle recording and streaming at the same time in Overwatch and maintain 60 fps. That's the main reason I picked a 1050, and I'm not sure the 1050 is enough, either. 

yeah i was thinking more along the lines of waiting, using the machine, if you see you need more ram buy it then.

and the GPU doesn't do anything if you're programming on the machine there is no point is pending money on a "gaming" card in my eyes

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

On 4/6/2018 at 1:49 PM, TraskJ said:

I have some parts that I used in a previous build, which I'd like to turn into another functioning computer. Here are my already-owned parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M4HCbX 

Ryzen 5 1600, MSI B350M Mortar, 1x8 Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666, various hard drives and SSDs. At this point, I'm assuming I'll have around $500 to upgrade with. This rig will be used primarily for school work (I'm in cybersecurity, so lots of programming and probably some VMs.) with some esports and light gaming on the side. I also edit video on occasion, and would like to be able to record and/or stream at decent framerates. Essentially, it'll be a workstation that's capable of gaming. I realize I'll need to make some tradeoffs at this price point, but I am a poor college student. Now here's the really difficult part: I need all of the parts, plus a monitor and a keyboard-I already have a serviceable mouse. So, here's my current parts list+budget.  

GTX 1050: $150

Corsair CX 550M: $60

1x8 same RAM I already have: $100

HP 23" VH240a: $130

Redragon K551: $39

Coolermaster MCW-L3B3-KANN-01: $35

In total, all of this comes to just over $500. 

BEST UPGRADE FR U....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($87.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer - KG221Q 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($99.69 @ OutletPC) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master - Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($28.33 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $454.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-08 08:15 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

12 hours ago, vexicus365 said:

BEST UPGRADE FR U....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($87.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer - KG221Q 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($99.69 @ OutletPC) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master - Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($28.33 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $454.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-08 08:15 EDT-0400

So that was awesome. Thanks for parting that our for me! I'll swap the RAM, because I'm going to make sure my RAM matches, but other than that I'll likely go with that part list. 

Current Desktop: