First mobile phone to have native cryptocurrency integration

Spotted this blog post about a new phone built with native crypto from reddit.

Israeli startup Sirin Labs and financial backer of Cardano, Emurgo, have announced that they have a new strategic partnership in place to collaborate on bringing Cardano to the FINNEY smartphone. Running the open-source operating system of Sirin Labs, SIRIN OS it is anticipated to be the first mobile phone to have native cryptocurrency integration. Cardano is a natural choice, as one of the largest cryptocurrencies in the world.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CardanoCoin/comments/8848ow/cardano_to_scale_infinitely_with_trusted_hardware/

Which links to:

https://www.planetblockcha.in/2018/03/26/cardano-smartphone-sirin-labs/

I'm not going to pretend I understand all of what's in that article, but it's a cool idea. I think it's exciting because it paves the way for even more secure smartphones, encrypted and on the blockchain. Furthermore, it'll be one of the first use-cases of an actual currency that I've seen, as in you'll be able to nativly hold ADA and use it to buy things in the app store.

finney.jpg

ah yes I saw. Huawei is negotiating with Sirin labs to do a blockchain smartphone too, so it would run sirin os+android.

no clue what the point is though, or whether it'll be useful.

This is as viable as mining via browser in hopes of recuperating costs from adblockers 

I personally think it's a dumb idea. It seems like a desperate attempt to making cryptomining useful. I would wager that this ends up backfiring.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, Technicolors said:

This is as viable as mining via browser in hopes of recuperating costs from adblockers 

I might be wrong, but I don't think the idea is for people to use it to mine. It's there as a platform. ADA is Proof Of Stake anyway so even if the idea is to generate income you wouldn't mine, you'd just let your phone run the blockchain.

The big problem I can forsee, is that unless there's a good way to recover any ADA stored in the phone/wallet system, losing your phone or getting it stolen could cost more like tens of thousands instead of just the hundreds it costs for the device.

Edit: More research showed me that actually if you back it up properly with the BIP-39 seed of 12 random words then you can recover your ADA :)