Clearing a drive

General_Led

So I am getting a 120gb ssd for christmas and I want to start fresh from the beginning. Im going to put windows and applications on the ssd and everything else on the HDD. My question is how do I completely wipe my HDD and also how do I make it so that my downloads go to the hdd and not the ssd? For example chrome downloads, steam games and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

can't you just simply copy the stuff over then wipe the old one?

Diamond 5 in League :)

So I am getting a 120gb ssd for christmas and I want to start fresh from the beginning. Im going to put windows and applications on the ssd and everything else on the HDD. My question is how do I completely wipe my HDD and also how do I make it so that my downloads go to the hdd and not the ssd? For example chrome downloads, steam games and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take the HDD to a local computer shop and have them flash it, then you can choose where your downloads go, to the main drive or the C: drive, the one that windows is installed on.

DBAN will clear the HDD

http://www.dban.org/

as for Steam and chrome; both have advanced settings tabs where you designate locations

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Follow this guide; it's very simple.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

After installing Windows & programs on the SSD, plug in the HDD. In Windows after booting (onto the SSD). Search: Create and format hard disk partitions. Locate the hdd, right-click and select Format and follow the prompts - do a quick format. (Or you can pick Delete volume and then add back the volume.) You'll now have a blank hdd ready for new files - all data will be lost.

be careful doing this. make sure the correct drive/volume is selected. all data on the volume will be deleted.

Some programs will have a setup option that determines where downloads are stored. Others, like Windows will default to the last location used.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

can't you just simply copy the stuff over then wipe the old one?

I simply want to start fresh. I have a lot of random stuff on my hdd that needs to be got rid of and also some viruses .

I simply want to start fresh. I have a lot of random stuff on my hdd that needs to be got rid of and also some viruses .

Just format the drive then.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.