Power usage

Akamii

hey guys, i just wanna know some details about overclocking, if you overclock card's clocks "mem+core" would that increase ur power consumption "wattage" above the limits?

for example: gtx 1050ti asus expedition with no external power cable, only gets the power from the pcie, has its power limit 100% (cannot increase it anyway) and its core clocks +150, mem clocks +700.
the card is known to draw 75w as the maximum consumption, but im wondering if it would draw more than that under these oc settings or it wont get above the 75w limit ?

just asking because im a miner.

also how many wattage would the system alone consume? pentium+b250 fintech+4gb ram+ 120gb hdd.

thanks.

no it just increases thermal output from what i know

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

3 hours ago, Akamii said:

hey guys, i just wanna know some details about overclocking, if you overclock card's clocks "mem+core" would that increase ur power consumption "wattage" above the limits?

There are no power consumption limits per se. There's a voltage limit, but no current limit. However, higher currents mean more heat generated. And there is a temperature limit. So if you can't keep the part cool, then it's going to burn out.

the card is known to draw 75w as the maximum consumption, but im wondering if it would draw more than that under these oc settings or it wont get above the 75w limit ?

It may, and it can potentially damage the slot. Radeon RX 480 cards had this problem before drivers fixed it.

also how many wattage would the system alone consume? pentium+b250 fintech+4gb ram+ 120gb hdd.

If it's under a nominal load, probably around 50-60W. If it's idling, probably around 20W.

I believe there is power consumption, but if there is, there wouldn't be much.

17 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There are no power consumption limits per se. There's a voltage limit, but no current limit. However, higher currents mean more heat generated. And there is a temperature limit. So if you can't keep the part cool, then it's going to burn out.

It may, and it can potentially damage the slot. Radeon RX 480 cards had this problem before drivers fixed it.

If it's under a nominal load, probably around 50-60W. If it's idling, probably around 20W.

so that means the card can consume more than 75w and burn the slot?  i thought if it would consume above the limits the pc will just crash

so that means the card can consume more than 75w and burn the slot?  i thought if it would consume above the limits the pc will just crash

If you overclock the card and there's no supplemental power from a PCIe plug, then yes, it can draw more power than 75W and cause damage to the slot if not the board.

23 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you overclock the card and there's no supplemental power from a PCIe plug, then yes, it can draw more power than 75W and cause damage to the slot if not the board.

ummm im confused now, you are saying that by overclocking i can damage the slot, so when the gpu crashes, what does that mean? i mean whats the reason to get crashed if not the power is being above the pcie's power ?