Is my CPU causing stream freezes?

c0mplexx*

So past I'd say 4 months I've been having a hard time playing streams at 1080p 1080p60 and above that although I should've easily played them (atleast in my opinion, my downspeeds rage between 40-45 Mbps). 

I've been told it might be my PC causing the issue so I decided to test it now with a 960p60 (it still buffers but not much)  PUBG (if this helps) stream and noticed that everytime the freeze buffered my CPU usage went to 80-97% of usage (typically at the 30-50% range) depending on how long the buffer was and my disk usage was getting in the 90%+ area as well  

Is it my PC after all?

- Did an internet speed test as well and my CPU usage was at 80%+ while calculating(I guess?) the speeds  

- My PC is also getting quite loud since I didn't really clean it for a long while, will probably clean it this weekend

Downspeeds: 40-45 Mbps

Upspeeds- ~3.2 Mbps

PC Specs:

CPU: i3-2120 

RAM: 4GB DDR3 (RAM usage was fine)

GPU: RX 470 4GB

Also pardon the way I built the sentences, I'm not really used to explaining and talking much I guess 

E: feel like i'm supposed to mention this I DO NOT STREAM, I only watch streams

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

You have a SSD? I'd try getting a SSD first, and then upgrading CPU and RAM if that doesn't work.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Your CPU is very slow. Typically people will only start not experiencing issue streaming games while playing with a CPU thats a few times power powerful than the one you have now.

Also, for technical reasons ram usage isn't always meaningful like CPU usage is. If its oer 50-70% its holding you back.

Windows physically cannot use more than 50-70% ram in most cases, depending on specifics.

Computers r fun

Just now, JDE said:

You have a SSD? I'd try getting a SSD first, and then upgrading CPU and RAM if that doesn't work.

Definitely not the issue. Streaming doesn't even use the disk, its probably just windows updating in the background. Which doesnt help, but isnt't the big problem at hand. His cpu is way under powered for the workload.

Computers r fun

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Your CPU is very slow. Typically people will only start not experiencing issue streaming games while playing with a CPU thats a few times power powerful than the one you have now.

Also, for technical reasons ram usage isn't always meaningful like CPU usage is. If its oer 50-70% its holding you back.

Windows physically cannot use more than 50-70% ram in most cases, depending on specifics.

If you couldn't tell he's playing the streams off somewhere like Twitch and not streaming it from his computer for the world to see

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Definitely not the issue. Streaming doesn't even use the disk, its probably just windows updating in the background. Which doesnt help, but isnt't the big problem at hand. His cpu is way under powered for the workload.

Just now, JDE said:

If you couldn't tell he's playing the streams off somewhere like Twitch and not streaming it from his computer for the world to see

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

OHHH Hahaha!

I was quite suprised.

Either way, that CPU is under powered, even for just gaming so its no surprise your having issues.

Computers r fun

OHHH Hahaha!

I was quite suprised.

Either way, that CPU is under powered, even for just gaming so its no surprise your having issues.

My laptop Core 2 Duo with a SSD and 4GB of RAM watches Twitch streams easily.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I know the CPU is bad but it ran perfectly till not so long ago (I think I have the PC for around 3 years now?), can it be the fact that it's basically aging and dying? I wanted to upgrade to R5 1600 and 16GB of RAM but both the stores that sell CPUs in my city are out of stock with the R5 1600 and RAM is way too expensive now so I'm kinda sitting in hopes it'll drop in price soon

5 minutes ago, JDE said:

I don't think there's really anychance it's the HDD, had a worse one before I upgraded to the current one (2GB Seagate  ST2000DM006) and did fine (the issue actually started with the previous one)

5 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

I know the CPU is bad but it ran perfectly till not so long ago (I think I have the PC for around 3 years now?), can it be the fact that it's basically aging and dying? I wanted to upgrade to R5 1600 and 16GB of RAM but both the stores that sell CPUs in my city are out of stock with the R5 1600 and RAM is way too expensive now so I'm kinda sitting in hopes it'll drop in price soon

Performance degredation isn't a thing, it's either stock, or not working (unless the clocks are going down)

Try getting a SSD first, or upgrading to a i5 2400/i7 2600 (can be easily gotten from old Dells)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

Performance degredation isn't a thing, it's either stock, or not working (unless the clocks are going down)

Try getting a SSD first, or upgrading to a i5 2400/i7 2600 (can be easily gotten from old Dells)

Might get an SSD first since I don't see a point in buying a cpu if i'm planning to upgrade to another one,  I'll need to change Windows' installation onto the SSD right?

12 minutes ago, JDE said:

My laptop Core 2 Duo with a SSD and 4GB of RAM watches Twitch streams easily.

While gaming?

Computers r fun

While gaming?

At least for ultra light gaming, but I would expect a 4 year gap with competition and a desktop vs laptop CPU to give more.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

13 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

It doesn't degrade over time. Only thing that could change is worse cooling contains, hardware runs hotter it will thermal throttle.

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, JDE said:

At least for ultra light gaming, but I would expect a 4 year gap with competition and a desktop vs laptop CPU to give more.

I don't understand what your saying.

He's doing more than just light gamming

Computers r fun

5 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

Might get an SSD first since I don't see a point in buying a cpu if i'm planning to upgrade to another one,  I'll need to change Windows' installation onto the SSD right?

I suggest a fresh install of windows. Expect to drop around $150 for SSD, weight the cost to benefits. Its really your choice though, depending on what you want.

Computers r fun