MSI x99a GODLIKE: PCI-E Lanes help

Hi!

I need help with my PCI-E Configuration.
64GB (DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600) G.Skill Ripjaw V
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB - PCIE #4
Blackmagic Decklink 4K Mini Monitor - PCIE #3
NVIDIA Quadro P400 960 2GB [PNY] - PCIE #1
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 512GB (M.2 MB Slot)
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB PCIE #5

Monitor HP Z27q 5K (GTX 1080 Ti) - Using 2 DP
Monitor HP Z27q 5K (Quadro P900) - Using 2 DP
Eizo CG 318 4K (Blackmagic Decklink 4K Mini Monitor)

I work as a Colorist and I have to use differents GPUs. The GTX 1080 Ti for running DaVinci Resolve, the Blackmagic 4K Mini Monitor for output a 10bit signal to my color grading monitor (Eizo) and the Quadro p400 for UI and using more monitors. I have also a 4th card for a 2nd M.2 SSD using an adaptor.

The problem I have is if I connect ANYTHING in the PCIE #5, the M.2 connected to the motherboard is using the PCH lanes and the speed decrease from 3300MB/s to 800MB/s. I can't either use the PCI-e #2 and PCI-e #3 at the same time and let my PCI-E #5 free.

The GTX 1080Ti is running at x16, the Quadro P400 at x8 (but I don't care cause there's no real impact), The Blackmagic on x4 (uses only 4 lanes) and the M.2 on the PCI-e #5 is running at x4. As you can see I'm using only 32 lanes of 40.

How can I force the M.2 installed on my motherboard to use the others CPU lanes? Or How can I use the PCI-e #2 and PCI-e #3 at the same time? Maybe there's no alternative here cause the motherboard's design but I would like to ask you for help if there's something I can do for fixing this.

Thank you so much,

Adrià

PS: Hope my English is OK haha

I think the other 4 lanes are used for other things like IO and stuff. though I am not sure.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

16 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

I think the other 4 lanes are used for other things like IO and stuff. though I am not sure.

No, definitely is not for that...

Anyone knows another solution?

2 hours ago, Kevinlvp said:

Have you got anything running on SATA?

Nope, I only have two M.2 SSD

Some motherboards are setup in such a way that if certain ports are used, others are disabled. 

Usually this is documented in the motherboard manual.

I had the case where if I was using the SATA Express connector on my board, a couple of my SATA ports would be disabled. 

Also learnt the hard way that the m2 on my motherboard was only a x2 slot. Easily fixed with a PCIE adapter card though. 

Definitely worth reading through the motherboard manual to see if there is any unusual disconnects like this or whether there is a recommended device layout. 

DeezNoNos suggestion was valid if you had built in thunderbolt ports for example as they will usually use up PCIE lanes. 

Looks like your mobo isnt gonna operate all pcie slots at once with m.2 active

pcie table.png

Thank you guys for your answer. I think I'm going to buy a bigger M.2 and remove the 2nd one on the pcie slot. I saw that the new x299 chipset can handle more lanes and it would solve all my problems (maybe I'll upgrade the next year).