Unable to sign in with a long password

Hello, guess my first post on this forums is gonna be a bug report :/

I wasn't able to log in with a 64 character password, the register and change password UIs take the password without errors/warnings, but change password and login UIs report it as invalid. I tried multiple times with different length passwords and reproduced the issue every time the password was >56 chars, currently I'm using a 32 character password without issues.

Putting an upper limit and making the UIs error out if the given password is longer would be one way to fix it, however, I'm more towards removing the unwanted length limit completely (I assume its unwanted as an upper limit is not noted anywhere).

As to the bug report guideline, browser/version is irrelevant, so are any error messages, its just the "invalid password" error.

I use a password that is longer than 64 characters without issue, but I'll look into why it would be causing problems.

Just to make sure, you did set up the password in your account settings rather than through a third party service rather than discord, right? We don't get the password from third party services, you have to use the "sign in through x" link for them.

HTTP/2 203

It looks like (for some reason that I don't know and probably disagree with) the password change field is capped at 50 characters. My guess is that you generated the password somewhere and pasted it into the field, where it was silently truncated to 50 chars. Truncating a password is definitely not good behaviour, and I will report that as a bug (it's mostly browser behaviour, but changes can be made so that the checks are only performed on the server).

HTTP/2 203

Sorry for the late reply. I indeed just generated a password and pasted it there, I did test a bit in the settings, but I was not able to log in even after directly creating the account, perhaps the register screen password box length changed since you created the account? (would be weird but I suppose possible). Logins/registration through the available third parties were not used.

I have a feeling the password length limit was added more recently than I set my password, which would explain why I wasn't having an issue with it.

The developers of the forum software claim that this is working as intended, and therefore won't fix it (!!!). However, I have now deployed a fix on this site which should effectively remove the password length limitations, so it should work for you now.

HTTP/2 203

Yep, just changed it, 64 characters now and I'm able to log in :D

Thank you for the very quick fix!