[Rumor Mill Question] 8700k or possible 8 core coffee lake on the horizon?

Hello there folks,

So a friend of mine will be able to upgrade to an 8700k soon, however i've provided him with all information I know, and his interest has been peaked around the area that an 8 core coffee lake rumor was going around.

Currently he seems happy to go 8700k but also says he's patient enough to wait a couple months to see if any better processor announcements kick up.

Has anyone else heard any rumor mill content about 8 core coffee lake information, or even any other releases, if so feel free to message 'em down below.

Thank you!

Does your friend just play games?  If so then the 8700K should be plenty of CPU for him for a while.  Honestly, an 8th gen I5 or 7700K would be enough for most games.  

If he has multithreaded workstation tasks for the CPU, then yes an 8 core CPU would be beneficial and he could consider waiting.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Does your friend just play games?  If so then the 8700K should be plenty of CPU for him for a while.  Honestly, an 8th gen I5 or 7700K would be enough for most games.  

If he has multithreaded workstation tasks for the CPU, then yes an 8 core CPU would be beneficial and he could consider waiting.

They mostly play games aye, but they do a decent bit of blender and rendering, his priority is the games but would like the availability of power to render. Personally I would  recommend for him to wait to see some announcements on both ends over the next 2 months more than likely, however i've likely not got all the information available.

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

8 cores is the rumor, for sure.  

https://www.techpowerup.com/242544/intels-8-core-mainstream-coffee-lake-s-processor-spotted-in-the-wild

This is the most recent info I have seen.  Looks like a new MOBO will be needed (AGAIN!!) for this CPU.

Good thing he has to upgrade the mobo anyway (Or there'd be a riot, poor 8700k guys wanting to upgrade again), second half of this year estimate so likely start hearing more in the next couple months.

An 8 core would be pretty good, especially if it can keep up with the 8700k's frequencies, i'd expect it to be hot as hell, but some nice performance.

I'd pick up an x299 chip but I'm a special kind of weird.  I think either chip will do but obviously newer will be better

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

hmn ive gone the 8700k route recently, happy with it so far.

I also had to decide to either wait, anywhere from 3 to 6 Month for the 8C/16T maybe even longer or going with the stuff thats out now. Who really knows despite Intel when its going to be released. And from my experience it will get hard to get one the first month's after release.

Im not rendering stuff, im just streaming a little bit on Twitch and its working great, it can do 720p60fps on slow obs preset with my overclock while playing, well atleast on most games i play. When ive heard the first 8C16T will most likely still be 14nm and not 10nm i just bought the 8700k its price was very appealing, only 300€. So i dont really regret anything yet^^

Even thought i think for someone who will do more rendering and stuff than gaming the 8c/16t can be worth it, The 8c/16t will most likely clock lower or will be much hotter than the 6C/12T already is which has to be considered because it will either mean less gaming performance but more multithreaded performance or a more expansive cooling solution is required. When doing content creation professionally you'll also have to consider that it also depends on the software you are using and if it can support 16threads to make the 8c/16t worth it.

And if it turns out that intel will sell those 8c/16t for the same price as the current 8700k well, ill just also buy it in addition. LUL streaming RIG incoming ^^

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |