File encryption software.

I have a bunch of downloaded Youtube videos (many of which have been blocked or removed) I would like to encrypt for backup to Google Drive. Any suggestions for encryption software? Veracrypt was the first software that came to mind, though it doesn't seem to recieve much in the way of attention as the last version was released July.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I have a bunch of downloaded Youtube videos (many of which have been blocked or removed) I would like to encrypt for backup to Google Drive. Any suggestions for encryption software? Veracrypt was the first software that came to mind, though it doesn't seem to recieve much in the way of attention as the last version was released July.

I personally use VeraCrypt. Works well for my needs. 7zip is also sufficient if all you're doing is password protecting a folder or file.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Go buy StableBit CloudDrive and setup a "drive" in Google Drive using a strong encryption key in the program. It effectively creates an encrypted virtual hard drive using whatever cloud storage provider you choose, and is well worth the money as the developers actually respond to their users directly on the support forum.

https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Go buy StableBit CloudDrive and setup a "drive" in Google Drive using a strong encryption key in the program. It effectively creates an encrypted virtual hard drive using whatever cloud storage provider you choose, and is well worth the money as the developers actually respond to their users directly on the support forum.

https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive

Kind of overkill tbh. Once the bunch of files are encrypted and stored away, I'm hoping to never touch it again.

Also, I have Windows 10 pro, Bitlocker is a thing, maybe...

7-zip I will have to look into for this. I didn't know it could do encryption.

My eyes see the past…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Kind of overkill tbh. Once the bunch of files are encrypted and stored away, I'm hoping to never touch it again.

Also, I have Windows 10 pro, Bitlocker is a thing, maybe...

7-zip I will have to look into for this. I didn't know it could do encryption.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think you can use Bitlocker to upload an encrypted file to something like Google Drive - but I could be mistaken there.

7zip would definitely work. It can employ encryption, as can most "Zip/compression" programs.

http://www.medicalnerds.com/how-to-encrypt-zip-files-securely-using-7zip/

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As far as I'm aware, I don't think you can use Bitlocker to upload an encrypted file to something like Google Drive - but I could be mistaken there.

7zip would definitely work. It can employ encryption, as can most "Zip/compression" programs.

http://www.medicalnerds.com/how-to-encrypt-zip-files-securely-using-7zip/

7-zip is one of those massively useful programs I never actually remember I have installed until I need to use it. :P

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

7-zip is one of those massively useful programs I never actually remember I have installed until I need to use it. :P

I install it onto every single system I touch - both at work and at home.

It pains me to see WinRAR installed - or worse, WinZIP.

Those programs were great back in 2002 - but not so much in 2018.

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I install it onto every single system I touch - both at work and at home.

It pains me to see WinRAR installed - or worse, WinZIP.

Those programs were great back in 2002 - but not so much in 2018.

Same here. I would love for 7-zip to get a mobile port without ads. Without home internet, I rely heavily on my phone to download and upload stuff, so it would be a fantastic tool.

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Same here. I would love for 7-zip to get a mobile port without ads. Without home internet, I rely heavily on my phone to download and upload stuff, so it would be a fantastic tool.

Can't say that I've ever needed to unzip something on my phone before. But yes having mobile ports would be good.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Can't say that I've ever needed to unzip something on my phone before. But yes having mobile ports would be good.

I've had a need for re-encoding music on the go too. Nothing on Android really fit the bill. Was glad to have my Atom tablet/laptop/whatever on hand. Though as the SD821 is quite a bit faster compared to Bay Trail Atom, I'd have preferred using the phone.

Good grief, remembering how long it took to encode music in iTunes on an Athlon XP makes me feel astoundingly old. And that wasn't really all that long ago either.

My eyes see the past…